Does Power Cable itself really matter?
Oct 2, 2008 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
If i am buying a DAC or a full size amp for myself.

do i need to re-cable it?

does the power cable really affect on how clean the signal is?

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 23
Re-cable the internal wires first before even thinking about the external power cable.
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 23
General consensus(and imo the sane consensus) is that power cables have no audible effect on any part of your system.

AC voltage will be rectified, regulated, and decoupled.

It's like say you have a deformed piece of metal. Upgrading the power cable would be like sanding and polishing the metal.... right before you melt it down and re-cast it.

I like having a nice hefty cable though =]

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 23
I have lot of wireless & electronic devices up n running in my room.

Including Wireless router.

So How can i reduce the Interference of the DAC/Amp?

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 23
Yes. Power cables produce very audible effects on the sound (not always for the better). Why, I've no idea. Actually I was very skeptical until I heard the difference for myself. It can be rather dramatic, a lot more so than interconnects etc IMO. But the easiest way to find out is just to borrow a cable and see for yourself. The most dramatic difference seems to be on DACs in my experience.

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #9 of 23
i use good power cables on my audio rig simply as a best practise scenario

i recently rewired my lcd and freeview box with high quality shielded wiring and now suffer from less noise artifacts on screen and less electrical interference

if it can work for video, it will work for audio

Oct 2, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If i am buying a DAC or a full size amp for myself.

do i need to re-cable it?

does the power cable really affect on how clean the signal is?

Wrong subforum.
This is the DBT free forum and questioning whether cables do make a difference at all or not is not allowed here.
Your thread is better suited to the Sound Science subforum.

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 23
Who knows.
WHy not give it a try, then report back with your impressions.
wink.gif

Yeah, I am a cable believer. But never used aftermarket power cables...

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 23
Nocturnal: I recommend that you try the search function sometime. It works.

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 23
If you haven't already, I'd actually recommend you get a pair of quality interconnect cables before considering a power cords.
I think power cords can make a substantial difference. But that is not to say the stock cords sound bad, or are inadequate. To put things in perspective, I would only consider a power cord upgrade after source, headphones, headphone amp, interconnect cables, and headphone cables are "there." Also, I am not aware of any "consensus" that p.c. don't make any difference - plenty of people on Headfi would rather listen to aftermarket power cords. Some people claim they hear no difference, and I believe them (because I believe they are honest) - there are many things to consider - your listening environment, listening volume, quality of your AC, etc. But honest people could make mistakes - once some guy with a pair of new headphones posted that the phones, as they break in, he needed to turn the volume pot up to achieve the same normal listening volume. He probably listened too long trying to analyze things for hours and yet his conclusion was that "the (headphones) drank more juice as they break in." It's people's perception. Disclaimer: I'm merely encouraging you to try, not buy.
Finally, replies aren't necessarily in order of correctness.

Oct 2, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 23
All that mattered to me was build quality...I'd been using Dell server power cables - 14 AWG shielded Volex. Worked great. The stock cords that came with things I've bought were always skinny nad little or no shielding. Audio Advisor had a blowout sale on the cords I'm using now - they were 12 AWG heavy shielded cables the Parasound used as OEM PCs on their high end amps. Really nice high purity Furukawa copper, good connectors at either end, just no frills...cost me $39 each. That's as far as I'm willing to upgrade. Did it make a difference or change SQ at all over stock cables, or the Dell ones? No, not at all, but the shielding is important for digital equipment, so it was worth it to me wether or not I could tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back