Does my Etymotic have a problem??
Sep 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

EPICFAILXD

100+ Head-Fier
Umm yeahh i got my hf5s a short while ago... great sound and everything. but just recently, idk if this is a real problem or not, the 45-degree plug has started to become intermittent when i don't plug it in securely... when the plug is in securely (i don't really know actually) then there is no problem, but sometimes the plug can cause skips in the audio.... is this a problem?? or is it just me?? should i send back to etymotic for replacement?? answer pls guyss

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 11
Having reread your first post...

I would say that any headphone plug must be plugged in securely. Otherwise, it could short/actuate the track skip function of an Apple device.

Just my two cents, Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Umm yeahh i got my hf5s a short while ago... great sound and everything. but just recently, idk if this is a real problem or not, the 45-degree plug has started to become intermittent when i don't plug it in securely... when the plug is in securely (i don't really know actually) then there is no problem, but sometimes the plug can cause skips in the audio.... is this a problem?? or is it just me?? should i send back to etymotic for replacement?? answer pls guyss

If you plug anything in all the way, you'll run into skips.  Normally what happens is that you'll only get noise out of one channel, one or both channels will become softer (volume-wise) as well.  That said, insert them all the way and you won't run into problems.  

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 11
oh right one thing i forgot to mention: when i twist the plug around, sometimes it can cause skips in the audio.... presumably this happens with all earphones right?? sorry for my noobishness ;P

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
oh right one thing i forgot to mention: when i twist the plug around, sometimes it can cause skips in the audio.... presumably this happens with all earphones right?? sorry for my noobishness ;P

That happens with all of my headphones.  It's debris in the headphone jack causing a temporary loss of signal from what I can come up with.  Nothing wrong with your Etys.  

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

That happens with all of my headphones.  It's debris in the headphone jack causing a temporary loss of signal from what I can come up with.  Nothing wrong with your Etys.  

phew... me and my paranoia.... Good to know my headphones are ok :D

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

phew... me and my paranoia.... Good to know my headphones are ok :D

LOL...  Yeah, if you twisten them back and forth fast enough and long enough, you won't get the skips any longer (it's a temporary solution).  But you'll get skips while twisting it XD  You can also try blowing air into the headphone jack to clear it of any debris.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back