Does anyone "outside" really understand?
Oct 20, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarred Taka
I will own whatever pair of cans I buy probably for life.

I find it funny that everyone else locked on to this sentence -- I did as well. Good luck on that Scarred
smily_headphones1.gif
Buy what you want, but think before you buy.

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
I think one of the problems is that a relatively small percentage of people seem to be skillful at using EQ.

I mean, EQing a room for speakers is surely a much more difficult task than EQing up headphones, yet I have no clue how to properly EQ even headphones and any EQing I do would probably consist of copying someone else's settings.

Edit: Oh, with the db meter, I'm just guessing, but is the practice to play test tones of different frequencies, measure their dB, and EQ stuff down until all the test tones are playing at the same dB?

For a room yes, usually done at the volume level you'd watch a movie, and if possible with the same number of people in the room as usual. The idea is to go for as flat a response as possible, though getting the sub right is a chore.

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #33 of 45
Nevermind the fact that if you have the money to buy the Ferarri then you probably (I think) would have a wife anyway, in which case picking up chicks would be very, very dangerous.
biggrin.gif

-Slep

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotBugMe
Try talking XXX into letting you drop hundreds and usually thousands on a single camera lens. Thankfully, there are only a small finite number of lenses possible (~50 in all for Canon or Nikon unless you factor in 3rd party) unlike headphones and amps where there are hundreds. One hobby's manageable, but once you get into several, it can get dangerous to say the least.
eek.gif

Hmmm, let me see...

17-40L
70-200 F2.8L
10-22
70-300DO (in the works)
2 cheap sigmas
every prime of every imaginable length

Yes, photo > headphones as far as the cost factors go. And I didn't even get into 4x5 yet!
redface.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #36 of 45
Easiest way to handle "How much did all this cost?" Hand them the headphones and say "listen to this". If they place the headphones on their head and hold their palms against the cups while listening, divide the amount that you would've said by half. They'll still be shocked, but won't immediately take you for a fool.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #37 of 45
No one understood why I needed an Audemars Piquet Royal Oak Chronograph or a Patek Philippe Gondola, all they do is tell time, right? This is the most inexpensive hobby I've ever had and I still won't discuss how much I paid for my UM2's. Trying to justify an expense of this nature is like mictating into the wind. Like I've said before, money spent on music is money well spent. Hey, life is short, enjoy.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #38 of 45
Let them cast dispersions ! There is not a soul at work or here at home that understands my hi fi fetish--especially headphones ! I've been an avid listener for the better part of 21 years now.I discovered better sound with my first Grados back in 2000 ! Now,I have an amp on the way,bought three more pairs of headphones,new extensions..etc..... yes it hit my bank account hard but all the more worth it. Indulge yourself and enjoy ! I wish I was around more can fans so this website is as close as I can get.At least everyone here sympathizes, understands,and can offer magnitudes of insightful advice.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
Let them cast dispersions ! I wish I was around more can fans so this website is as close as I can get.At least everyone here sympathizes, understands,and can offer magnitudes of insightful advice.

Amen brudda! Hey, I'm also a mail order ordained minister amoung other things. Maybe Jude can appoint me Head-Fi Chaplin?

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
But a Ferrari has an actual return value (that is, getting chicks) whereas audio is more of a self-pleasuring hobby.

You might get the chicks, if you could convince them to listen to your system. Heck, it worked for Alex in A Clockwork Orange.
tongue.gif

In any case, I *like* to shock people with the cost of my equipment (which isn't really that high). I'll proudly tell them, yes, this little cigarette box-sized thingy set me back a couple hundred, and I'm planning on buying some $250 headphones. They look at me like I'm nuts.. and I just grin.

It's fun.. and I bet some of them can't help wondering whether I know something they don't.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
"Miles to go before I sleep."-?

Im not sure if you were refering to Robert Frost, but that poem is so perfect for this thread
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #42 of 45
Some excellent points made that are still applicable in 2019! My first foray into high-end audio started in 2008 with the Denon AH-D5000 (Denon AH-D5000 was high-end at the time). When my family and friends found out how much I had paid for the AH-D5000 ($900 USD) they would shake their heads in disbelief, unable to understand why I would pay that much for a headphone. Then I let them hear the AH-D5000, and they understood it better, but would still shake their heads in disbelief at the money I spent. The AH-D5000 was originally just intended to be a luxury purchase, just a nice luxurious pair of headphones to use from time to time for gaming, movies and music. But it kick-started a decade long interest in hifi/audio equipment that eventually turned into an obsession.. I think it's at the point that it becomes an obsession that many of us have got to ask ourselves if it's really worth it. I don't think so anymore. It would be great to go back to the days where I had just 1 exorbitantly priced headphone like in 2008, convince myself of it's superiority over every other headphone on the planet, and be completely oblivious (just like the "outsiders") to the whole world of exotic, high-end audio :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And that is my plan, starting with Sony! :relaxed:

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
But a Ferrari has an actual return value (that is, getting chicks) whereas audio is more of a self-pleasuring hobby.

You might get the chicks, if you could convince them to listen to your system. Heck, it worked for Alex in A Clockwork Orange.
tongue.gif

In any case, I *like* to shock people with the cost of my equipment (which isn't really that high). I'll proudly tell them, yes, this little cigarette box-sized thingy set me back a couple hundred, and I'm planning on buying some $250 headphones. They look at me like I'm nuts.. and I just grin.

It's fun.. and I bet some of them can't help wondering whether I know something they don't.
wink.gif

Elementary Dating Tip w/ Rowan Atkinson "At all costs, avoid the temptation to brag about your stereo"

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #44 of 45
you kids, lol. You can get to end game, its going to cost and blow your mind

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #45 of 45
you kids, lol. You can get to end game, its going to cost and blow your mind
Yep, I am no stranger to endgame sound quality. I had it for years with a Linn LK85, Cyrus CD6 and Cyrus Linkport. It transformed the "okay" Sennheiser HD700 headphones I had into an "Out of this world" kinda headphone. But the HD700 only sounded "Out of this world" when I used it with that system, otherwise it was just "okay".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back