Does a DAC use optical audio or PCM optical audio if it has provisions to use optical audio?
Mar 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bbmiller

100+ Head-Fier
I got the idea I wanted a audiophile quality headphone system when after the second time I equalized my Plantronics 780 headset the audio sounded the best I have ever heard. So I wanted to take this headphone audio listening even further if possible. Consequently I ordered the Little Dot DAC_I Digital to Analog Converter as well as Little Dot MK IV with SE better tube option and the Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.

My question now is I was fixated with whether my 82 foot USB extension cable was good enough to drive the DAC of a system of this quality, but I found out I could use the HDMI audio via my television optical audio output so that raises another question.

I tried to find out if the television optical audio output was of audiophile quality, but the technical support person I spoke to on the phone about my LG 42LK450 television did not know. But he was able to tell me that the optical out can be said to just audio or PCM audio so what would you think my televisions out audio out quality will be and which of the two types of optical audio should I use to drive my DAC?

PS my DAC and headphone amplifier are coming from China and will not be here till maybe the end of next week.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 3
  I got the idea I wanted a audiophile quality headphone system when after the second time I equalized my Plantronics 780 headset the audio sounded the best I have ever heard. So I wanted to take this headphone audio listening even further if possible. Consequently I ordered the Little Dot DAC_I Digital to Analog Converter as well as Little Dot MK IV with SE better tube option and the Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.

My question now is I was fixated with whether my 82 foot USB extension cable was good enough to drive the DAC of a system of this quality, but I found out I could use the HDMI audio via my television optical audio output so that raises another question.

I tried to find out if the television optical audio output was of audiophile quality, but the technical support person I spoke to on the phone about my LG 42LK450 television did not know. But he was able to tell me that the optical out can be said to just audio or PCM audio so what would you think my televisions out audio out quality will be and which of the two types of optical audio should I use to drive my DAC?

PS my DAC and headphone amplifier are coming from China and will not be here till maybe the end of next week.

Chances are your TV outputs 2-channel of PCM (uncompressed) digital audio and the Little Dot DAC is only design to take in 2-channels of PCM audio.
The only other audio that might come out of the TV optical is DDL (Dolby Digital Live) which can compress up to 6-channels of digital audio.
But you do not seem to have a need to use DDL and the Little DOT can not uncompress DDL digital audio, it does not matter.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 3

Chances are your TV outputs 2-channel of PCM (uncompressed) digital audio and the Little Dot DAC is only design to take in 2-channels of PCM audio.
The only other audio that might come out of the TV optical is DDL (Dolby Digital Live) which can compress up to 6-channels of digital audio.
But you do not seem to have a need to use DDL and the Little DOT can not uncompress DDL digital audio, it does not matter.

What has been said above is sounding very right to me. Thanks

I have another question in regard to how my television probably works if I am using my television as a great big video monitor for videos originating on my computer via one of the TV HDMI input ports will the televisions PCM (uncompressed) on digital audio output on the on the optical audio out be largely unprocessed? I mean will my television do any digital to analog conversion or just pass through (perhaps going through electronic repeater) the HDMI audio signal allowing me to use my external digital analog converter DAC without digitally to analog converting it twice defeating what hopefully is a more effective external DAC by add its own impurities?

I realize your answer will only be a guess, but what do you guess?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back