Do your friends understand your obsession with audio?
Jan 6, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #47 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're better off not telling friends and family about the audio gear. Be evasive about prices. Say that "it wasn't too bad" or claim to have traded for it.

If you have a pressing need to discuss audio gear, there's always this place and the friends you make here.

yep, my girlfriend called my earphone buying 'unhealthy'. So now most of my purchases are trades or sold off some other gear to pay for them.
Though I was quite impressed the other day when she sat there with my old GX200's in her ear and told me they sounded boring and flat (compared to her skullcandy ink'd
rolleyes.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #48 of 74
Yes, my girlfriend b!tched at for being irrational because 1400 for headphones is ridiculous. Thank god she never asked about my amp and dac. Whew. She'll never understand this hobby.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #49 of 74
Nope, but I do not care.
They have their hobbies on which they spend more or less the same amount of money. That usually shut their mouth.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #52 of 74
I know that I haven't spent nearly what most people around here have. I might have $1000 in my current rig which I am counting headphones and speakers. When I bought the AH-D2000s a couple of months back, my roommates didn't necessarily make fun of me, but they did make it vocal that they thought I was wasting money. Now, when I got the speaker rig, one of my roommates was all for me spending $500 of my money on the speakers/receiver/turntable. He has even go so far as to persuade me to put it in the living room.

I don't really shove it down their throat. Before I got the speakers, they would listen to music on a cheap pair of laptop speakers in the living room and I would definitely express how bad the quality was and sometimes would have to go so far as to leave the room. When something sounds that bad, it's sort of like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #53 of 74
So far, everyone in this thread have been talking about their friends' and family's reaction to the audio hardware. But, in my experience, it's a lot harder to explain my obsession about the software side of audio. People just can't seem to understand why I have several different copies of the same CD (or vinyl record) or why some CD (or vinyl record) cost hundreds of dollars. I tell them, "Think of it like stamp collecting." But then, none of them collect stamps either. Sigh.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #54 of 74
Well, it usually generates a lot of laughs because some of my friends absolutely don't care if they listen to music through a pair of horrible buds supplied alongside their phone or my Etymotic er6i's (i don't take my senn's to school
tongue.gif
). If you don't care at all it doesn't surprise me that they laugh at me because I spend money to improve it (not much in audiofile terms but a huge load in fifth class (Junior grade in America) terms).

On the other hand, some friends of mine agree that the SQ improvement is big and propably would buy a proper set of cans if they were cheaper.

My dad does care about SQ but he doesn't care enough to digg deeper and thus owns Bose in ears (which aren't good, but it was a huge improvement of his ibuds so he doesn't care if there are any better out there). My mom is the typical "oh okay" *takes the headphone off after 10 seconds" type and the rest of my family laughs at it.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #56 of 74
Yes they do, because they see the pleasure it gives me and whenever they have listened to my setup they have been very impressed with the sound. So they can understand the point to it.

Problem is I have only one mate who is also into hifi and actually shares the passion.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #58 of 74
My friends understand it to a degree. They might not necessarily agree with my choice (one is very into gaming, another with his car), but they do understand that it is what I enjoy. I've actually convinced most of them to buy Portapros (the gamer now has 3 sets of cans, albeit 2 of them worse than the PP), and me and some buddies are almost ready to build Mini^3s for each of us.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #59 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingInABlueDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The funny thing is my Airsoft roommate loves music, and will sit in his room painting Warhammer models (another hobby I don't get) for hours with cheap Skullycandy headphones on. I offer my headphones to him all the time (I have at least 4 pairs within visual distance right now), but it's not of interest to him. I've repeatedly told him that if he spent even $100, he could have drastically better sound. He also tells me that if I spend $200 on a cheap gun, we could both go to an Airsoft field and practice.

In the end the argument is fairly circular. Neither of us gets the others hobbies. To each their own I suppose.

Isnt Airsoft just the kid friendly version of paintball?

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #60 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt Airsoft just the kid friendly version of paintball?

No They don't hurt as much but they still hurt(alot), they bbs are smaller, and the guns look real

Users who are viewing this thread

Back