Do you warm up your headphones?
Sep 20, 2007 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

BIG POPPA

Headphoneus Supremus
I first noticed that my UM-1's were a little dull for the first 15-20 minutes of listening. Then it was the Livewires, no bass really until the warmed up. Now I just got my MS-1's back from being repaired and I noticed they were a little Limp sounding, not like I remembered them. 30 minutes later they are cool as they ever was.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 80
I don't normally wait, but it does help when the headphone has music running through it a bit. Or its just in my head?

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 80
I'm not sure if it's the hardware or our own hearing getting used to the sound but I've experienced the same thing with my e4c's. After listening to them for about half an hour the midrange and highs seem to open up a lot more.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 80
I let it warm up for about 15-20 minutes.
600smile.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 80
I experience the same thing to varying degrees with different headphones/iem 's I use. They always sound a lot better after at least half an hour of use. However I'm certain its simply my hearing settling in to the sound signature of the 'phones ......rather than them actually 'warming up'.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 80
Most definitely, though I am sure a large part of the warming up is actually my amp and source as well.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most definitely, though I am sure a large part of the warming up is actually my amp and source as well.
wink.gif

That gorgeous amp would probably warm up my front room quite nicely as well after half an hour I would imagine....great name as well BTW.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 80
I don't want to open a can of worms, but its actually your ears that need to adjust to the air pressure produced by the headphones/IEMs. thats why your earphones sound better after 20 minutes.

hehe, its not the phones, its your ears!

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 80
Hrm I've never noticed this... I'm going to have to listen closer next time. Although I can definately say the Livewires sound grows on me the longer I listen to them...

BTW Shomie911 woo woo EOTech. What model is that?

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That gorgeous amp would probably warm up my front room quite nicely as well after half an hour I would imagine....great name as well BTW.

Thanks.
340smile.gif

It does put out a little bit of heat, but it is not too bad... and I can always throw on the AC if it gets to be too much. The K340's are closed enough that I don't really hear it.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 80
I absolutely let my system warm up. There is a noticeable difference after about 30 minutes. Music tends to sound much more organic and effortless once the system is warmed up.

Easy way to prove it's the system and not your ears; listen to a song you are very familiar with immediately after start up. Then put the system aside and let it warm up (play) for about 30 minutes. Them try the same song again - presto! Since you haven't been listening to it for the last 30 minutes, it's not your ears 'getting used to it'. How can they get used to something they have not been listening to for the last 30 minutes?

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely let my system warm up. There is a noticeable difference after about 30 minutes. Music tends to sound much more organic and effortless once the system is warmed up.

Easy way to prove it's the system and not your ears; listen to a song you are very familiar with immediately after start up. Then put the system aside and let it warm up (play) for about 30 minutes. Them try the same song again - presto! Since you haven't been listening to it for the last 30 minutes, it's not your ears 'getting used to it'. How can they get used to something they have not been listening to for the last 30 minutes?

I only hear the difference if I keep my HD280 on my head for a while. If I put them down, and back on my head they don't sound as good. If they are on my ears for 30 minutes, then they start sounding amazingly warmer (which is a surprise for HD280s which are usually too transparent and high). I think it has something to do with them being closed, and the air pressure being different inside the cups. You ear drums have to get used to that pressure before you hear things properly.

This probably isn't as evident with open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back