do you use your iphone on AT&T? if so this thread can save you some money...
Jul 31, 2009 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
so AT&T is getting expensive, I was considering unlocking my phone and putting it on T-mobile. I was paying $110 a month on AT&T for 900 minutes, free nights and weekends, rollover, mobile to mobile, iphone data and 200 texts. Well I called them and told them what T-mobile has (1000 minutes a month, free nights and weekends, no rollover, mobile to mobile, 300 texts and G1 data plan) that would have cost $70. So AT&T offered me a plan they DO NOT GIVE ANYONE WHO ISNT ASKING ABOUT CANCELING THEIR PLAN! which is 1000 minutes a month, rollover, no free nights and weekends, mobile to mobile for $40, which is going to drop my total bill down to $80. So if you're on AT&T and want to save a little money, give them a call.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 20
Typical retention offer. Do note that accepting these offers will tack another two years onto your contract agreement. Upgrade eligibility may also be affected, but I'm not sure.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Typical retention offer. Do note that accepting these offers will tack another two years onto your contract agreement. Upgrade eligibility may also be affected, but I'm not sure.

nope, I made sure to ask all of that. My plan isn't extended and I can upgrade my phone in december like I could before

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope, I made sure to ask all of that. My plan isn't extended and I can upgrade my phone in december like I could before

Really? It's extremely unusual for these to be offered without an extension on the contract agreement, at the very least.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Really? It's extremely unusual for these to be offered without an extension on the contract agreement, at the very least.

yeah, that were actually really awesome about it. They also took care of $80 in over charges that I accidently picked up while on my cruise.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

They're offered because they still make money and smaller profit then before is better then none if the customer leaves.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What iphone functions do you lose if you unlock your phone and move off AT&T? Does the web browsing, email, etc still work?

I was talking to people who work at T-mobile who on the record know nothing about this, they said everything but the app store works. I don't know how much of it is true though as I didn't have to switch.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 20
I don't think the visual voicemail works, either, if you jailbreak your iPhone.

There are less expensive plans, too. I have a basic $30 plan I've been on for years with an extra $30 for unlimited 3G data. It works out to $62 a month with the taxes and fees. I don't get any texts (don't want them) and am not sure how many minutes I get, but I only spend a few hours on the phone each month.

I don't think the $30 plan is listed in their sales lit, however, they'll offer it if you ask.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 20
woah.. at&t plans really suck, I've got $99 unlimited everything (calling, text, 3G data and roaming) from Helio which were bought by Virgin which is now being bought by Sprint. Pretty sure Sprint has a similar plan too. Learning of this junk pricing just canned my thoughts of an iphone, looks like its gonna be a Palm Pre come December.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 20
If only it could be purchased without a data plan. I'd be all over the iPhone if that were possible...

I'm not going to pay $720 for a data plan I'm never going to use over a 2-year contract.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 20
It does make me wonder what price Apple would sell the iphone for if there was no concept of bundling and exclusivity. I know what AT&T *says* they charge for it without the contract, but I suspect the price would be much different if it was just a product on the open market that could be freely moved between carriers.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

It does make me wonder what price Apple would sell the iphone for if there was no concept of bundling and exclusivity. I know what AT&T *says* they charge for it without the contract, but I suspect the price would be much different if it was just a product on the open market that could be freely moved between carriers.

Likely the $500-600 price that Apple was selling the original iPhone before they went to the subsidized rate with ATT. Parts and assembly cost estimates has stayed consistently around the $200 mark for the original, 3G, and 3GS iPhones. This is also in line with the unlocked competition running on similar hardware.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

What iphone functions do you lose if you unlock your phone and move off AT&T? Does the web browsing, email, etc still work?

Visual voicemail. App Store store works fine, as does everything else.

I pay $5.99/month for unlimited EDGE data. It's all I really need for Beejive, Mail, and Maps.

If you try to use a program other than iTunes to manage the content on your iPhone, iTunes will no longer recognize the iPhone and require an AT&T SIM inside to reactivate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back