do you prefer new or used IEMs
Jan 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

brenttw

100+ Head-Fier
What would most people rather buy?  Price coming out the same would you rather buy a new IEM with manufacture warranty or a used pair without warranty?  I'm on the fence about buying a brand new set of Westone 1s or looking around for a better set of used  IEMs here on head-fi.  After spending that much on IEM and me personally having a bad history of damaged cables (mainly straight-jacks, but also bought cheap IEMs like skullcandy) warranty is a nice piece of mind having.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 23
I prefer new.  I really take care of my stuff and I know many people do not....like wrapping the IEM's around the player and stuffing it in a pocket.

I pay more but it giuves me piece of mind.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 23
Really depends on price, reputation of durability, availability of warranty services, whether or not cable is replaceable, etc. 

I have absolutely no problem buying factory refurbished from reputable brands. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 23
i listen to mostly electonic music and and want a TAD bit more bass then my current hf3s and though Westone 1 might fit that, but i still want to maintain decent highs.  Read that Westone 3 has better bass than W1 but brand new it is WAY out of budget.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 23
While I buy new from time to time, I have no problem buying used if the price savings are significant and the condition is mint.  Like Spyro, I am very careful with my things and like my gear to be well taken care of.  It happens pretty often that a Head-Fi'r can save $100-$200 for a pair of expensive IEMs in mint condition.  The way I see it, that's a good chunk of change that I'm happy to keep in my bank account.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 23
Just to give my 2 cents: pass on the W1.  I had them a while back and thought they sounded hollow and boring.  I found my self EQing them for every type of listening except listening to the news.  Even after tweaking the sound, they never sounded right.  I thought that the W3 were leaps and bounds better in all aspects--especially for electronic music. 

Maybe try a pair of Klipsch s4.  They are slightly less money than the W1, if I remember correctly, and sound more alive.  Other options to think about: Shure SE215 or the UE Triple Fi (I think you can find them for around $125 at times).

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 23
from my readings i think the s4 might be too bass heavy for me.  I think i also might want to stay away from the Shure line as i feel i have fairly small ears and the size of the Shure buds might be too big.  From readings only i feel the size of Westone is more my cup of tea.  Wish there was a place in hawaii to test out ear phones.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Just to give my 2 cents: pass on the W1.  I had them a while back and thought they sounded hollow and boring.  I found my self EQing them for every type of listening except listening to the news.  Even after tweaking the sound, they never sounded right.  I thought that the W3 were leaps and bounds better in all aspects--especially for electronic music. 

Maybe try a pair of Klipsch s4.  They are slightly less money than the W1, if I remember correctly, and sound more alive.  Other options to think about: Shure SE215 or the UE Triple Fi (I think you can find them for around $125 at times).

My upgrade path was the 3 you mentioned. S4 to SE215 to TF10. Cant say I like the S4, very over rated by certain sites online. The SE215 was better, but in the end the TF10 the best of the 3 hands down for me. The warranty thing has its good and bads also. I couldnt return my 215's, to Guitar Center, Frys site doesnt say anything about not taking them back if used. MY TF10's broke swapping the cable and Logitech would of warrantied them, does no good if they dont have them in stock.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 23

Is there enough bass present compared to the hf3?  I really love the highs on my hf3 for the music i listen to, but willing to sacrifice a little bit of this for more bass emphasis.

Another concern of the TF10 is that it seems kind of long and would stick too far out of my ears and not sit quite as well as smaller buds.  My main use of these headphones will be multi-purposeful, at home, the office, and traveling on the bus so good isolation is a priority for me.
Quote:
My upgrade path was the 3 you mentioned. S4 to SE215 to TF10. Cant say I like the S4, very over rated by certain sites online. The SE215 was better, but in the end the TF10 the best of the 3 hands down for me. The warranty thing has its good and bads also. I couldnt return my 215's, to Guitar Center, Frys site doesnt say anything about not taking them back if used. MY TF10's broke swapping the cable and Logitech would of warrantied them, does no good if they dont have them in stock.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Is there enough bass present compared to the hf3?  I really love the highs on my hf3 for the music i listen to, but willing to sacrifice a little bit of this for more bass emphasis.

Another concern of the TF10 is that it seems kind of long and would stick too far out of my ears and not sit quite as well as smaller buds.  My main use of these headphones will be multi-purposeful, at home, the office, and traveling on the bus so good isolation is a priority for me.

About the second part of your post, I had the tf10 for a while, but I've sold it - it is large, when I used to wear it, I couldn't move around much or do anything, else I'd lose the seal (I did try all the tips, including foam - foam provided best fit, but the size + pressure was a little bit uncomfortable). I'd say just be aware of your own taste in sound too, a lot of people have bought tf10 because of the amazon black friday deal, and there are a lot floating around...so there are more people raving about it, but it doesn't mean it's the best thing around, depending on your taste. I did not enjoy the tf10 much at all when I had it because of the mid, I almost always went for my se425 instead. Hope you find something you enjoy, :).

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:

I have never used the HF3, so I cannot give an answer. I feel the bass on the TF10 is terrific, as for sticking out, well they sure are not the best looking when being worn. I have said that before, and people said its a matter of taste. I dont sit there looking in the mirror so its a moot point. All I care about is comfort and sound, I am more than pleased with both. I have tried using all the tips that fit, the medium silicone were my choice till I took the Comply 500 that come with them and trimmed them down to the inner core. Now I use those and am 100% satisfied with my current setup.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 23
Think about small carrots sticking out of the ears.  I usually buy used, there are some great deals out there to be had.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 23
Ya, i've seen pictures of people wearing the tf10, looks like a mini frankenstein lol.

From what what Zenesis said, i dont think the tf10 is what im looking for (mainly in terms of mobility).  The phones im looking for are not going to be workout phones, but i will do walking to and from the bus stop to work daily and dont want subtle movements breaking the seal.

I'm now considering a used pair of Westone 3.  Man why is searching for phones so hard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back