Do you play Chess?
Aug 24, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 31
Sometimes, but not enough to be any good at it nor do I study how to improve.

There are some good online chess sites to learn about the game and play others around the world.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 31
Of Course!
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 31
IIRC I should be weak club player level. Something like Class D :p

Edit: In all honesty it's been a really long time since I played any tournaments and I'm not sure if I've gotten better or worse. But I find chess psychologically draining since either I take games unseriously and it feels pointless or else I take it seriously and my ego gets crushed when I lose. Plus when I did play tournaments (again really long ago) I was really nervous to the point of shaking and so my performance wasn't necessarily the best I was capable of. But all things considered... yep, probably 1000-1200 USCF.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 31
we should set up a yahoo chess tourney! i used to play online a bit, until the punks using computer programs to play for them against me started annoying me. what thrill is there in having something else think for you? isn't that the point of chess - uh, thinking for entertainment? maybe they were after the pure adrenaline rush of just beating someone else...uh, in chess.
blink.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 31
i do, but am only really good against live players (as apposed to computer players like zappa). most advanced players have set openings, middle games, and end games in mind. i only focus on controlling the middle, castling, doubling my rooks on an open column, and attack attack attack. it drives my opponents nuts, and is a good way to mess up their set patterns. also, i can usually only see about five or six moves ahead for each combination, but i do play very fast.

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 31
I used to play London and Middlesex League for my club back in London (Hackney).. sounds impressive but I was - I say was because I haven't played in 5 years - crap, in comparison to other players in our club. used to be fun after the games, when everyone was, shall we say, a little tipsy, playing 5 minute blitz games with NM's and IM's and once in a blue moon GM's. My crowning glory was winning 3rd place in the crap section at a weekend congress about 8 years ago. I still proudly display my trophy !!

Aug 24, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 31
I love chess! But in all honesty myself at 8 years old could beat my current self. I just haven't put the effort into it like I did as a kid, I'm pretty average now, which doesn't say much much for the members of my highschool "chess club" who I railed by making almost random moves. But there is nothing like watching a good chess match between some people who really now what they are doing.

Aug 24, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 31
I used to play a lot when I am in 8th ~ 10th grade, but have not touched it since. The main reason is because I have no one I know right now interested in this habbits.

Aug 24, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 31
In first-second grade I was the biggest member of Chess-Fi ever. Now I'm horrible. (I doubt I could beat my 8 year old self) I do enjoy playing the game whenever I get the chance though, the hard part is finding someone interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back