Do you lubricate your tips?
May 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 37
Lots of saliva on the end of my Shure small olives before inserting - don't even have to roll them with the self lube job.

May 20, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 37
bit of ky jelly does the trick (; make sure you use her pleasure for your ear and hispleasure for your headphones! :p

May 21, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I try to avoid wet-willies at all cost. I stick my IEMs in dry.

Ditto. I use Shure gray softips, and they work best when clean and tacky.

May 21, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there had been reports indicating KY works quite good, slides in easy, fits snug, and drys without messy residue....

sorry, just couldn't help it, but seriously, there were such posts.
:O

Long ago I posted some impressions about IEM with KY like lubricant but none cared about.
Anyway, KY left some residue. The alternative one I'm using didn't left (an unknown maker).
There are some people using olive oil too. I don't like it, but you just need one coating of oil for the whole day (some people just need one coating for the hole week!).

May 21, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #23 of 37
I was joking about KY jelly but it is funny to see a post saying that has been tried. Must be awkward at the clerk. *clerk giggles* "Planning a special night for someone?" "Er... I got a new cd and I needed it to enjoy my music better."

May 21, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #25 of 37
I use the olives and get a very good seal without lubrication. IMO it will just make them fall out easily.

May 21, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I'm on the subject of improving the performance of IEMs, I came accross a couple of posts about Otoferm - lubrication designed for hearing aids and such. The idea of a little lube to create a better seal and so prevent irritation seems like it might have merit. I haven't been able to find the stuff in a store yet, but I'll report back when I do. Anyone have any experience?

I occasionally use a product called Oto-Ease that is made by Westone specifically for hearing aids and IEM's. It's water-based and is FAR less sticky than some of the other options mentioned. You can order it through Amazon (I think) or directly from Westone (about $3.75USD a bottle). You could probably call a few local audiologists/hearing aids providers as I am sure they would have it too. A small bottle lasts a LONG time - longer than a year.

While I will admit that there is no option cheaper than saliva, an ER Trauma nurse I know reminded me that the human mouth is one of the LEAST sanitary places around (which is why they treat people being bitten by other people so seriously due to the high risk of infection) so I would proceed with that one at your own risk and not let anyone else lube them up for you.......
eek.gif

May 21, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #28 of 37
LOL...instead of KY, try Probe Personal Lubricant...it's water based, and designed to mimic "natural" lubrication. It leaves no residue, and once it dries, it's gone...

May 21, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
designed to mimic "natural" lubrication. It leaves no residue, and once it dries, it's gone...

Hmmmmm, seems like a contradiction to me.

May 21, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #30 of 37
Yes, a little bit of saliva does the trick for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back