Do you like wood? I do.
Mar 18, 2007 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

EnOYiN

Headphoneus Supremus
So here are a few pics of my new amp casing. A friend of mine helped me with a good part of it since I am not that good with wood after all. It isn't finished yet, the front needs some work and I'll use a bit of varnish to make it look better.

Enough words for now. Here are the pics:
1.png

The beyers are cool, I know, but that's not what this pic is about. It's about the ugly piece of wood next to it. Here a pic without the beyers to distract you.

2.png

For all of you who don´t know this amp, it´s a Porta Corda MkIII-USB made by Dr. Meier. I am thinking about a decent adapter connection on the back of it and some other kind of power supply. (something like a Li/Ion battery)

Like I said before, it´s not finished yet. Maybe I will start all over again to make something nicer if this one just doesn´t work out.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

Cheers.

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you're just going to have to get some Darths to go with that, aren't you?
biggrin.gif

Beautiful stuff! I like your choice of amp too.

To be honest: I have been thinking about Darths.
biggrin.gif

I think that some varnish will do them good. And the front really seems ugly if I am looking at the pictures now.

One of the first impressions of the porta corda was that it had a slightly flimsy looking casing. (just looking though, it´s sturdy enough after all) Anyway the idea was born for a wooden casing.

Now, I will only have to make my own darths.

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 19
Hey that looks pretty cool. I'd like to give that a try some day, not that I'm much of a carpenter.

There doesn't seem to be many owners of this amp here. I use mine only for listening to my notebook PC and mine stays attached with Velcro to the underside of my custom gear table that sits next to me at my couch.

Dr. Meiers creation drives my Darth Beyers very well, along with HD 650. Even with 9 volt or even USB power it has ample power but a 13.5 volt transformer pumps it up a little more. The sound is clean and bass is tight, worthy of the 770
basshead.gif

eggosmile.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey that looks pretty cool. I'd like to give that a try some day, not that I'm much of a carpenter.

There doesn't seem to be many owners of this amp here. I use mine only for listening to my notebook PC and mine stays attached with Velcro to the underside of my custom gear table that sits next to me at my couch.

Dr. Meiers creation drives my Darth Beyers very well, along with HD 650. Even with 9 volt or even USB power it has ample power but a 13.5 volt transformer pumps it up a little more. The sound is clean and bass is tight, worthy of the 770
basshead.gif

eggosmile.gif

Thanks.

I am not a carpenter at all. This is the first thing I made out of wood since 9-10 years. The main thing you will need, and this is where this friend of mine helped a lot, is a fraise. You will not be able to do it without this machine.

I am using a 24V adapter with it and that works (and sounds) really well. The main issue with that, without modification, the connector for it is inside the amp itself. I am planning on making that slightly more accessable.

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 19
Wow man!!! That looks really awesome! Hope you will work out your issues. And you'd better bring that to the meet
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow man!!! That looks really awesome! Hope you will work out your issues. And you'd better bring that to the meet
icon10.gif

Thanks.

I was already planning on that. They will come, with or without the wood. I hope I'll have them finished by then though.

As far as my issues are concerned: the piece of wood isn't so much of a problem. I've got other issues that might be slightly harder to solve.
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 19
The wood casing acts as camouflage on that table. Can barley see it in the first pic.
tongue.gif
Props.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice. You may want to consider countersinking the screw heads and maybe covering the recessed screw heads with wood plugs as well...

Maybe I would, but where would I get those?

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wood casing acts as camouflage on that table. Can barley see it in the first pic.
tongue.gif
Props.

I used the first and best camera I could find to make the pic. I couldn't change the shutter speed at all if I wanted a visible picture. The standard shutter speed was 1/60 so I can't help the picture being slightly blurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back