Do you get strange looks?
Dec 21, 2004 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Those of us who participate at Head-Fi are extrememly serious about sound quality, whether through headphones and/or speakers. So what are the reactions of your friends/family/neighborbors when they learn of your hobby?

Dec 21, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 65
Sometimes I have to hear a joke or two about this hobby (mostly concerning cables) from my friends like "Why don't you ask the professor about some superconducting cables?" or "Does gold sound the best?". In the end, they always like coming to my place and always happen to have a CD or two in their bag. The best way, however, is to convert them to the dark side. If they only knew how good gold cables can sound
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
My friend who collects spoons hasn't had the courage to say anything.

I almost choked.

Dec 21, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 65
Everyone thought I was insane before I joined head-fi. My spending a few thousand on bike stuff didn't help. My spending $300+ on a pair of headphones just confirmed my insanity to most people. Most people I know don't grasp the concept of a headphone amp.

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 65
As I've expressed before, my parents don't support my audio hobby much at all.

Dec 21, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 65
I've been playing with little isolation tweaks lately, so there are discarded tennis balls and racquetballs cut in half lying all over the house. My parents are amused. My girlfriend used to mock me for the procession of components that went in and out. I think the people who work the mailroom at my dormitory think I'm up to something unusual as well, with packages coming in and going out at a steady rate. Other than that, I get told to turn the volume down pretty regularly. Oh well.

Dec 22, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 65
My family thinks that I am out of my mind. When I try to get them to listen to the difference between a 128 aac file and a lossless file they walk away shaking their heads. When I wanted to hold a meet at my house, surprisingly my wife supported it and my kids ran for the hills.

Dec 22, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 65
My friends think I am mad. They dont understand why I cant live with a $200 all in one Sony system. As far as they are concerned the quality of the Sony is the same or better!! I laugh of course, My cables cost more than that mini system!!

My brothers understand, as they have the bug as well, but they thought I bought wild until they heard it
cool.gif

My parents accept it as I am old enough to waste my own money.
very_evil_smiley.gif

So in all, the people that count the most accept and understand, and thats all that matters
biggrin.gif

D

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #14 of 65
Spoons? How bizarre...

Dec 22, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #15 of 65
It's a pretty strange hobby.

What I have problem understanding are those brand-named handbags! They are like thousands of dollars!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back