Do you ears/ear canals grow?
Oct 28, 2007 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

seals

100+ Head-Fier
I am 14 years old, and have a vast music collection composed of rock, jazz, classical, reggae, metal, and alternative ( the vast majority of it is rock though). I'm thinking of getting a pair of Livewires, but I only have one concern: will my ear canals grow overtime to the point that I can't wear the iem's? If that is the case, i will probably opt for a shure e4c (and MAYBE get a custom mold for the end). Incase any of you are wondering, I currently have Shure e2c's and Vmoda Vibes. I love the e2cs, but the vibes have terrible sound that is cloude by muddy bass.

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 25
i haven't looked into that, i know for sure that your ears and nose grow continuously throughout your lifetime. that may include ear-canals as well, although it would be at a very slow rate. i don't think it's something to worry about unless you plan on keeping your livewires for 20-30 years or perhaps longer.

also, for a 14 year old, you write well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i haven't looked into that, i know for sure that your ears and nose grow continuously throughout your lifetime. that may include ear-canals as well, although it would be at a very slow rate. i don't think it's something to worry about unless you plan on keeping your livewires for 20-30 years or perhaps longer.

also, for a 14 year old, you write well.
smily_headphones1.gif

I plan on getting 3-4 years out of the Livewires, so if what you said is true than it shouldn't be much of a problem. I'll wait for more responses before ordering of course. And thanks for the complement
3000smile.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am 14 years old, and have a vast music collection composed of rock, jazz, classical, reggae, metal, and alternative ( the vast majority of it is rock though). I'm thinking of getting a pair of Livewires, but I only have one concern: will my ear canals grow overtime to the point that I can't wear the iem's? If that is the case, i will probably opt for a shure e4c (and MAYBE get a custom mold for the end). Incase any of you are wondering, I currently have Shure e2c's and Vmoda Vibes. I love the e2cs, but the vibes have terrible sound that is cloude by muddy bass.

Have you burned your vibes in for at least a day? I'm just tryin to make sure cause I hear people say that and some say they have burned them in and others say it has terrific sound. Just want to make sure. I also agree that you write very well, for a 14 years old.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you burned your vibes in for at least a day? I'm just tryin to make sure cause I hear people say that and some say they have burned them in and others say it has terrific sound. Just want to make sure. I also agree that you write very well, for a 14 years old.

No, I have not done a burn in on them (thanks). I guess they were such a disappointment after my burnt in e2c's that I just threw them off to the side and stuck with the Shures. Time to go burn them in. Thanks again for the complement. I write in some of my spare time, so maybe that's what helped.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 25
Wow, I read this post, and I thought " this sounds EXACTLY like me!" . I'm in your same exact situation and i was also planning on getting livewires. Not that my e2c or e4c are bad, I just would like to be able to wear my iems for long periods of time without discomfort, since i use them so often. So I asked on this board and got this
" 1. The price is not the reason for not getting custom IEMs (livewires come @ $300), but the fact that you are 15 is a very good reason not to yet. I would wait until you are ~21 if you are a guy, 18 if you are a girl. General time frame when each gender stops developing. Good idea that you thought about bringing your age up."
hope that helped

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gallardo88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I read this post, and I thought " this sounds EXACTLY like me!" . I'm in your same exact situation and i was also planning on getting livewires. Not that my e2c or e4c are bad, I just would like to be able to wear my iems for long periods of time without discomfort, since i use them so often. So I asked on this board and got this
" 1. The price is not the reason for not getting custom IEMs (livewires come @ $300), but the fact that you are 15 is a very good reason not to yet. I would wait until you are ~21 if you are a guy, 18 if you are a girl. General time frame when each gender stops developing. Good idea that you thought about bringing your age up."
hope that helped

Thanks. If i get an e4c (I could have a change of heart though), I would consider getting custom molds to put on them to reach the same effect. That way I wouldn't be wasting a set of iems when I grow out of it. Has anyone done something similar? How does it work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 25
Can't help you with that, but if you're happy with your e2c, why upgrade?
btw, where are you located? it's hard to believe there's someone else my age that has headphones other than ibuds. That's all I see here in Palo Alto ( maybe because Steve Jobs lives here?)

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Can't help you with that, but if you're happy with your e2c, why upgrade?
btw, where are you located? it's hard to believe there's someone else my age that has headphones other than ibuds. That's all I see here in Palo Alto ( maybe because Steve Jobs lives here?)

I'm in Pennsylvania. Everyone I know here also uses the dreaded ibuds. It's great to see I'm not the only teenager here.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 25
I know there's custom tips for basically all the higher end iems, but i have read they don't feel the same as customs. Maybe it's possible to take the driver out of the mold and put it into an updated mold? that would be awsome! haha

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

I know there's custom tips for basically all the higher end iems, but i have read they don't feel the same as customs. Maybe it's possible to take the driver out of the mold and put it into an updated mold? that would be awsome! haha

actually, I read a thread about taking out the driver of E5C and place it in a costume mold.
the price of E5C+mod is roughly 600 dollars if I remember it correctly but the OP never share with us his impression toward the mod, and also, the store which provided that service is located in Tokyo, Japan, so.. it is very unlikely any one lives in America, Europe to get it them selfs

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 25
maybe before you spend money on some custom headphones you should wait till you´re 18-20 and your growth rythem has slowed down,

same for vision correction surgery, they recommend you dont get it untill your in your 20´s to make sure your eyesight dosnt change after you had it done,

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by seals /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on getting 3-4 years out of the Livewires, so if what you said is true than it shouldn't be much of a problem. I'll wait for more responses before ordering of course. And thanks for the complement
3000smile.gif

John Diles could chip in here because I think I read somewhere that he has been an audiologist of 20 years.

I think ears are the one thing on your body that continues to grow with age. Check out very old people...they have huge ears!
icon10.gif

As for the time frame you're talking about it shouldn't be a problem. Also you can send the Livewires back to Earpeace to be redipped. That will give more body to the shell to compensate for any growth.
etysmile.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosmic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Diles could chip in here because I think I read somewhere that he has been an audiologist of 20 years.

I think ears are the one thing on your body that continues to grow with age. Check out very old people...they have huge ears!
icon10.gif

As for the time frame you're talking about it shouldn't be a problem. Also you can send the Livewires back to Earpeace to be redipped. That will give more body to the shell to compensate for any growth.
etysmile.gif

AWSOME. I might contact the Livewire team and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back