Do you believe in ghosts?
Jan 27, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I believe that in moments of stress our psychic engergy is able to be transferred into our transitory state of existence that is locked into our time/space essence which exists in the concepts of string theory. Thus, that mental state remains an eternal "presence" that others can tune into with their instinctual fear and danger sensors. And that is what ghosts are. Or at least the best theory I can come up with over several years of considering the subject. Of course, it all depends on proving "psychic energy" which, I believe, has some grounding in scientific evidence - like those studies done at Princeton Univ where it's been shown the mind can minutely effect electronic equipment. My theory's downfall are those stories where individuals interact with ghosts, which suggests that these psychic impressions retain a reactive consciousness which is much harder to explain.

i've always pondered a scientific explaination as well. My theory is that it has something to do with time, and time not being a constant. Perhaps ghosts are really when time gets mixed up and we see an abnormal portrayal of the past getting mixed up with the present.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
i've always pondered a scientific explaination as well. My theory is that it has something to do with time, and time not being a constant. Perhaps ghosts are really when time gets mixed up and we see an abnormal portrayal of the past getting mixed up with the present.

hah, that's the most extreme explanation I've heard so far.

Maybe ghosts are part of some freakish forth dimension

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u

Edit:
Be sure to check out the pictures taken at Waverly Hills during the ghost tours! You can see pics of Shadow people.

ooo I'm about half-way to freaked out by that! got any more? I dont' wanna be able to sleep tonight
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
hah, that's the most extreme explanation I've heard so far.

Maybe ghosts are part of some freakish forth dimension

Yeah sure, why not? We only see in 3 dimensions. Imagine how we'd look to those who see 4 or more. We would be to them what stick figures on paper would be to us, the flatlanders.

I can't say I do or don't believe in them, but I've seen some interesting stuff that I'd rather not talk about... not because I'm afriad to post it, but because it freaks me out just thinking about it.. and I myself don't know what to make of it, so how could I expect it to make any sense?

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 33
Assuming that you mean “ghosts” to be the traditional, commonly accepted idea of a person who has died and the spirit lives on sort-of-thing, then no. There have been some very interesting theories put forward in the last 100 years or so that attempt some scientific explanations to various “ghost” phenomena. However, belief in ghosts as spirits of the dead is simply a failure of critical thinking in much the same way that believing that cryogenically treated cables are going to improve the sound of your headphones.

While we’re at it, a brief list of other things that DO NOT EXIST and also represent a lack of critical thinking:
1.Bigfoot
2.The Lock Ness Monster
3.The Chupacabra
4.Aliens (Do they exist? Maybe. Have they visited Earth? No.)
5.Spontaneous Human Combustion
6.Demons
7.Angels (here’s where we lose some people . . .)

I have found an interesting association between people who believe in some of the things on this list and who believe, for instance, that $1000/pair Kimber speaker cables change the music that comes out of a pair of speakers.

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
ooo I'm about half-way to freaked out by that! got any more? I dont' wanna be able to sleep tonight
evil_smiley.gif

I will post some pics of the tours I went on a little later.

I was looking on the LGHS homepage and I saw they have a Waverly Hills Audio Experience (catchy name). Interested, I found this site that has a radio interview of Jake A. Wheat, the guy who made the CD.

If you listen, about half way through the interview he desribes his experience with the Shadow People on the fourth floor. It gave me chills to hear him tell his story because it sounded a lot like my experience. I will be ordering the CD.
eek.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #26 of 33
No.

(I had very low expectations for this poll, given some of the other numbers out there I find shocking - I remember a survey cited on Radio 4 a few years back which found there were precisely as many atheists in the U.K. as there were strict Anglicans: 5% each - but I'm glad at least half the people here have their critical faculties in order...)

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
While we’re at it, a brief list of other things

I can think of a couple more obvious ones. . .

When people tell me about someone having "seen a ghost," I ask, or at least wonder, what they think they mean by "see." We are talking about something that is by definition "immaterial." "Seeing" means, at a minimum, perceiving light, and light must be either emitted or reflected. If something does either of those things, it is a material phenomenon.

Of course, if you already believe that you are a ghost, I guess the existence of other ghosts might "make sense."

Jan 27, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
No.

(I had very low expectations for this poll, given some of the other numbers out there I find shocking - I remember a survey cited on Radio 4 a few years back which found there were precisely as many atheists in the U.K. as there were strict Anglicans: 5% each - but I'm glad at least half the people here have their critical faculties in order...)

I grew up in the heartland of Southern religious fundamentalism, and I reject its fatal glamour and all its works. But I am frequently astounded at the arrogance and absurd dismissiveness towards other perspectives and creeds displayed by self-procolaimed, self-promoting 'atheists' (especially in media sources of the UK).

I esteem the critical evidential authority of empirical experiment and demonstration, but I have never encountered a serious scientific authority who has ever claimed more than exceedingly high probability and virtual certainty for scientific principles. John Locke believed that we would never obtain reliable evidence of the actual physical phenomena that occur when our sense organs see and hear. David Hume quite conclusively proved that we can never absolutely establish the evidence for logical claims of identity relationship and causal relationship in our deductions -- there can never be unequivocal proof that we are not mistaken. Consequently, for Hume truth must therefore be a respect for probable evidence and a realistic recognition that we first learn the nature of the world from within the frameworks of social fictions (and the issue persists that we can never be certain of the extent to which we can escape this context).

I strongly respect the ethical position of the principled atheist, but frequent outbursts of unreflective disdain for other 'ideologies' evince a simplicity and hubris that are inappropriate for anyone who claims a moral superiority for scientific rationalism.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #29 of 33
Personally, I would really like to believe in ghosts....but I don't unfortunately. I mean, if there REALLY are ghosts, that means it is not the end when a person passes on. I.e. I will continue to exist and I will see how the world will evolve for many centuries to come...

However, unfortunately, I cannot believe this, because, I strongly believe, once we pass on, we cease to exist. That's it, poof...gone...

So, enjoy this while it lasts..

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
Rudyard Kipling is my favourite teller of 'literary' Indian ghost stories. "The Return of Imray" is an all-time favourite of mine. Doubtless, there are better stories from India out there if you can read Urdu, which I can't.

Very interesting I will look more into this. My dad can somewhat still read Hindi (and I assume there has to be Hindi translations)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back