Do woodie Grados sound different as the wood ages? (RS-2)
Jan 23, 2012 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

genexrocket

New Head-Fier
So after using the SR-60 for almost 5 years, I finally decided to jump for the RS-2! Wednesday can't come soon enough!
smily_headphones1.gif

I know that the sound changes as the drivers burn in, but I'm wondering if the sound quality changes further more as the wood itself ages over the years? Kind of like how aged violins and guitars sound better as they get older.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 5
for your consideration.....I've talked with lots of hardcore vintage guitar guys who feel very positively and claim from direct experience that a guitar stored in the closet will not change over time. It is only from being played and sound vibrating though it over time that ages the wood, marking it more resonant. So if we generalize to wood cups one could makes some guesses as to what affect time has......and generally more resonance, if there is any change in such a small cup, would be theoretically not wanted for headphones. But I would place bets on their being no real difference over time for headphone applications, especially if they are finished in any substantial way.......the other thing those guitar freaks will say is that anything over a thin finish of nitrocellulose and the aging affects are minimized. So a vintage strat, guitar or violin will only have a thin light finish given to it to allow it to age.......

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the info! That's what I kind of assumed anyways. I also remember that someone mentioned in an older thread that the wood does turn into a reddish color as it ages. Can anyone confirm this?

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
depends on the finish again. some finishes block UV and some don't afaik

Even more, it depends on the wood as far as coloration goes.

On the issue of the wood changing the sound over time, I like MID is right but giving too much credit. Even still, any changes would happen over many decades.

On the topic of Strats, I remember reading about a double-blind with a pair of multi-million dollar strats and a few 100 grand or so modern violins where professional players couldn't tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back