Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its very overwhelming for me,Twitter
frown.gif

Tip: don't follow that many people =0

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #95 of 103
I use Twitter
smily_headphones1.gif
I use it everyday and find it's significantly better than FaceBook. In FaceBook I'm spammed with random farmville invites and I'm fearing it will become like MySpace. It used to be the thing everybody used and then it just died... I liked FaceBook back when it wasn't as well known/popular. Anyway my twitter is Ryan Chung (thechungster) on Twitter

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #96 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Twitter [...] I'm fearing it will become like MySpace. It used to be the thing everybody used and then it just died.

The grazing herd has moved on, no doubt, but MySpace is still there, I assure you. It is still far superior to Facebook or Twitter for people interested in following music. Nearly every band and solo artist has a page, and as a music hub it is still the place to be.

Want to find out what celebrities have stuck between their teeth? Do you have the attention span of a gnat? TwitFace is for you.

Interested in music, and unconcerned about being at the cool party (for this five minutes)? I suggest Myspace.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #97 of 103
Further to DrBenway, every medium has its place. As a long time print media executive I have been hearing about the end of printed newspapers and magazines for a long time. Yes, newspapers will never be the mass medium they once were but there is something convenient about a printed newspaper delivered to your door. Same thing with magazines. I suspect the general interest newspaper and magazines will suffer the most. Those that are local/hyperlocal or niche will fare better. Still, there is a time and a place for everything.

The only "medium" I can think of that has been completely replaced by something new is the telegraph. Radio, movies, TV, still around and kicking.

Twitter has its place. So does MySpace. AOL is even turning a profit again! They just have to retool their business model.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #98 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Further to DrBenway, every medium has its place. As a long time print media executive I have been hearing about the end of printed newspapers and magazines for a long time. Yes, newspapers will never be the mass medium they once were but there is something convenient about a printed newspaper delivered to your door. Same thing with magazines. I suspect the general interest newspaper and magazines will suffer the most. Those that are local/hyperlocal or niche will fare better. Still, there is a time and a place for everything.

The only "medium" I can think of that has been completely replaced by something new is the telegraph. Radio, movies, TV, still around and kicking.

Twitter has its place. So does MySpace. AOL is even turning a profit again! They just have to retool their business model.

I guess it's a matter of signal-to-noise for me. The noise level at places like Twitter and Facebook is deafening, and the signal is weak. Very weak. I realize I'm out of step on this issue. I've tried to develop an interest in Twitter and Facebook, with no success.

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #100 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it's a matter of signal-to-noise for me. The noise level at places like Twitter and Facebook is deafening, and the signal is weak. Very weak.

Facebook and Twitter are user-generated content. The quality of the content you see depends entirely on you: do you follow a bunch of idiots with nothing to say? Or do you find people who post useful and interesting information? It's your choice. No one else's.

It's no different than any other method of communications. If every phone call you have is useless and annoying, it's not because the phone is a poor medium. It's because the people calling you are useless and annoying.

On Twitter I follow musicians, producers, music venues, record companies and bloggers. Plus a few local businesses (restaurants, bars, etc.) that sometimes will give freebies or special offers on Twitter. There is a little chaff, but for the most part it's great info, and I've gotten some truly valuable information that would be available nowhere else. And I spend maybe 5 minutes reading per day because the updates are so brief. No wasted time!

As for Facebook, well - if all you get is noise... it's your friends and family, not sure what to tell you. My friends provide a gold mine of great music, art, laughs and thought-provoking articles. Protip: I use a fake name and don't give much background info so random schmoes from my elementary school and extended family can't find me.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #101 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Facebook and Twitter are user-generated content. The quality of the content you see depends entirely on you: do you follow a bunch of idiots with nothing to say? Or do you find people who post useful and interesting information? It's your choice. No one else's.

It's no different than any other method of communications. If every phone call you have is useless and annoying, it's not because the phone is a poor medium. It's because the people calling you are useless and annoying.

On Twitter I follow musicians, producers, music venues, record companies and bloggers. Plus a few local businesses (restaurants, bars, etc.) that sometimes will give freebies or special offers on Twitter. There is a little chaff, but for the most part it's great info, and I've gotten some truly valuable information that would be available nowhere else. And I spend maybe 5 minutes reading per day because the updates are so brief. No wasted time!

As for Facebook, well - if all you get is noise... it's your friends and family, not sure what to tell you. My friends provide a gold mine of great music, art, laughs and thought-provoking articles. Protip: I use a fake name and don't give much background info so random schmoes from my elementary school and extended family can't find me.
wink.gif

In other words, guns don't kill people, people do?

Your post is very well argued, but I'm beginning to think that this is a cultural issue, and I just don't understand the culture.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #103 of 103
No, I never will, either.

It's ridiculous, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back