Do the Sony MDR-EX650AP's need a long burn-in period?
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gr0mit

New Head-Fier
I got these yesterday, and tested them on my iPhone SE (I know the SE isn't considered the best source but still, I've listened through other headphones and had a much better time..). I listened to some rock/metal (Tool, Animals as Leaders, Pearl Jam, etc.) and to my disappointment, sound was way too harsh. I figured since What HI-FI gave these a five-star review, they must just need some time to show off their true colours.

So do the Sony MDR-EX650AP's need a long burn-in period, or is my source just crap?

EDIT: Moreover, they make pretty much every song I listen to sound quite compressed.
I'm using Apple Music btw

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 6
Best to just leave them in storage like I did, and move on :laughing:.

I too found them far too harsh to listen to with overcooked bass.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 6
I've been using EX650 for a few years now, mostly out of a Plenue D. They do lean towards the bass somewhat and are a little reticent in the high treble but I wouldn't describe them as harsh. Of course the PD has great EQ settings that can achieve whatever sound signature you like but before that I was using a Clip+ with no EQ and they sounded fine if a little bass heavy but that was generally a bonus with rock and metal.

At the Bristol Show, I plugged them into a Pro iCAN on the iFi stand just to see what would emerge. They sounded very good indeed and I emerged with a new found appreciation of the humble EX650.

Give them some time. I always reckon on 200 hours.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 6
I’ve now actually returned these in exchange for a second pair of SoundMAGIC E10C’s, since my first pair broke and I really loved them.

Thanks for your help though, but I just feel the E10C’s will be a much more worthy investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back