Do portable DAC/AMPS work without USB?
Apr 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mrpolobrown

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am new to the site and have a question regarding a portable solution I am considering.  I have a ipod touch 4g, and (in the mail) are some AKG Q701s.  I hear the AKG Q701s are hard to drive, so now I am here.

So my question is - if I plan to be on the move (not running, but rather - want a mobile set, for riding bus, on the plane, at the park, etc) and am looking for a good amp, what is recommended?  I actually have done research here and heard about the following:

Headroom BitHead
IBasso D2, D4, D10
and Fiio E7

MORE IMPORTANTLY, I am very confused about the following subject -

Also, I read when getting an "good" amp, its preferrable to get a good DAC.  Now everything I read under $250 says USB-DAC.  Does this mean it will only give me DAC capabilities when plugged into a computer USB?  Can I use a connection like one below:

http://www.amazon.com/SendStation-PDLO-USB-PocketDock-Line-iPods/dp/B0009X499G

Will they work with a LOD and some batteries and give both amp and dac capabilities? 

THE DAC section is confusing me alot.  Can I use the DAC capabilities of these devices without connected to a computer?  Does the Ipod Touch have a good DAC?  Thanks heads!

Regards..

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 6
Well, to simply answer your question, no the DAC is a USB only thing or whichever other digital input the amp/dac has (if any, most only have USB).  Most of the amps do, however have an analogue line in as well so you can use them as a normal amp.  The DAC is only to be used with a computer as a combination external sound card, to isolate the amp and analogue signals from the electronically noisy computer environment.  This is done to reduce background noise or the hissing that you often hear through more sensitive headphones, and to just give you a cleaner audio signal.  Unfortunately iPods do not have a digital audio out, just the headphone jack and if you get a cable like the one you linked, a line level output.  Depending on the generation of iPod you have it might have a wolfson DAC which are pretty decent ones.  I believe some of the newer ones use a cirrus logic one.  Both are decent enough DAC's for a portable player and when you bypass the rather crummy internal amp by using the line out dock (LOD) cable you can actually get pretty good sound from your iPod with an external amp.  Hope this helps, and welcome to head-fi

"sorry for your wallet"

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks! 

1)  So basically, there is no benefit of getting a DAC/AMP (compared to an AMP, only) if I ONLY PLAN TO USE IT ON THE ROAD (and not connected to a computer or laptop), correct?

2)  If this is true, and the Ipod Touch 4th generation has a decent DAC, what amp do you suggest (under $200).  Kind of a two part question here - what is the best under $200, and what is the best value?

3)  It seems you said this, but just to verify - the Ipod Touch 4th generation does have a DAC, correct? 

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 6
A DAC is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

so yes, the ipod and almost every device that mp3s have a dac, even your mobile phone has one for processing calls.

And the k701s are notoriously difficult to drive so most portable amps are out. Would recommend the ibasso pb-1/2 based on specs alone. Needs more research though, check the appreciation thread for impressions and stuff

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks.  Since I am going with the AKG Q701s and listen to a lot of hiphop/pop/classical/70s light rock, I am thinking I may need an amp which gives flat response AND options/settings for increased bass.  Any thoughts?

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks.  Since I am going with the AKG Q701s and listen to a lot of hiphop/pop/classical/70s light rock, I am thinking I may need an amp which gives flat response AND options/settings for increased bass.  Any thoughts?

My immediate thought is that you need to rethink your headphone choice for those genres. Forget AKG's marketing - you would have been happier with a bassier headphone straight from an amp - even the a-Jays Three would have put a smile on your face straight from a DAP. Save the Q701 for at-home listening, preferably from a big mutha of a Dynalo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back