Do orthos have a life expectancy?
Jul 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been longing to own the HE-500 again, but I fear some type of driver failure in the short future.

I find while shopping around and trying many headphones is fun, it just isn't getting me anywhere realistically. I've really wanted to buy something more expensive and just kind of "stop". The HE-500 is first on my list due to my very positive experiences with it in the past, and it fits the bill for me better than anything else. But like I mentioned, I'm a bit worried as to how much use I can get out of it before it dies on me. I know that's a silly question, as there is no definite answer, but that's probably the biggest factor that is stopping me from buying something that costs a bit more. One would think, "Hefty price, unlimited use." Only problem is, I don't think use is technically "unlimited", and that's what persuades me to buy something cheaper and easier to replace. Probably me just worrying again, but for those that know more about orthos in general, I'd love to hear some feedback.

I've also thought about dynamic drivers. Do those tend to live longer than orthos, or is it about the same?

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 6
The main issue with these sorts of things now isn't something breaking from mechanical stress but rather the polymers used in driver membranes and various other components naturally degrading over time. I don't know what Audeze uses, but it would probably be a good question to ask them directly (the life expectancy that is, they may not want to tell you the exact details of what materials they use for their drivers).

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Given that there's vintage orthos from the 1980s still around and kicking, I wouldn't worry too much about this. This kind of concern seems to be a recent trend as well; and I really just don't understand it. It's highly unlikely that your product will "wear out" in the near future. Be it an ortho, ESP, or dynamic. If you aren't nuts with how you use them - you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back