DO NOT BUY FROM - Anacondastan (he is a scammer)
Dec 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 39

Quote:
On another forum a guy posted like crazy, acting like he was rich and buying and selling all sorts of equipment. He did a bunch of small successful sales/trades to get his marketplace rep up. Then he did a bunch of high price deals all at once and walked away with the merchandise. His account was banned but he came back a month later under a different name. He was easy to spot with a lot of the same mannerisms. When he got to the point of being able to trade on the marketplace I alerted the mods and he was banned again. Even active posters can be out to scam people.

That's the scary part... Just gotta cross my fingers and hope paypal will stand by the  victim and not screw them over and put the funds in the criminals hands.

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #32 of 39
Hi everyone,

I think others who have been scammed by him have not had the support of a community like head fi and did not pursue his scam with such vigor and persistence. I really appreciate everyone's help on this.

He is clearly a scammer, but may throw it in the mail just to avoid the charges as you said. I will be sure to let you know. But even if it does show up suddenly, it is too late for him as authorities and credit card companies have already been contacted and the wheels are in motion.

But either way, I will be posting negative feedback (hardee har har for him) and we also need to be vigilant as this guy could return under a different alias and try the scam on this site and others related.

Is there anything we can do to track whether he comes and goes and get him banned from here. He has in a way set himself up as a good guy with his postings and feedback, but it clearly is not the case. Although some may argue this. He does commit fraud, there is no disputing this fact.

Anyway, it is time to move on to the next phase of this.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #33 of 39
I'm not surprised that things like this happen, but I am still very disappointed to read that it happens here. I am glad you are taking it to the full extent. I hope that you get your money back and he receives appropriate legal punishment. People that do these types of things should not believe that they can get away with it.

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #34 of 39

Quote:
I'm not surprised that things like this happen, but I am still very disappointed to read that it happens here. I am glad you are taking it to the full extent. I hope that you get your money back and he receives appropriate legal punishment. People that do these types of things should not believe that they can get away with it.

Already spoke with the CC company,  no worries there. They are now pursuing him as well as the IC3 and local authorities. He left a pretty easy trail to follow, besides IP addy, photograph, city name and multiple address. Actually he was not very smart about it. Kinda stupid in fact,

Lesson learned on my part. And hopefully for others as well.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:
He is clearly a scammer, but may throw it in the mail just to avoid the charges as you said.

I have experience with a similar situation so I'll just say what I did.  In my case the package arrived on a Friday and was left at my doorstep because I was out of town.  I saw it when I got back on Sunday.  I brought it into my home but did not open it.

I then called the credit card company to let them know what was going on.  The person I talked to basically said "Your case is weakened by the fact that the seller shipped the stuff to you and has proof (via tracking numbers) that you have it.  You should ship it back to them."

Obviously the seller wasn't going to take it back at this point and I had zero interest in paying for return shipping.  I called up FedEx and told them they left the package on my doorstep and that I would have refused it if I had been home.  I refused delivery of the package.  Fedex made no fuss about this.  The next day a FedEx person showed up at my door, gave me a new tracking number, and took the package back.  Once it was delivered I provided the tracking info to my CC company and everything was resolved in my favor.

I know in your case you are talking about an international shipment and the postal service in Japan may have different rules than FedEx.  But hopefully you can do something similar if he does ship the package.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #36 of 39

Quote:
I have experience with a similar situation so I'll just say what I did.  In my case the package arrived on a Friday and was left at my doorstep because I was out of town.  I saw it when I got back on Sunday.  I brought it into my home but did not open it.

I then called the credit card company to let them know what was going on.  The person I talked to basically said "Your case is weakened by the fact that the seller shipped the stuff to you and has proof (via tracking numbers) that you have it.  You should ship it back to them."

Obviously the seller wasn't going to take it back at this point and I had zero interest in paying for return shipping.  I called up FedEx and told them they left the package on my doorstep and that I would have refused it if I had been home.  I refused delivery of the package.  Fedex made no fuss about this.  The next day a FedEx person showed up at my door, gave me a new tracking number, and took the package back.  Once it was delivered I provided the tracking info to my CC company and everything was resolved in my favor.

I know in your case you are talking about an international shipment and the postal service in Japan may have different rules than FedEx.  But hopefully you can do something similar if he does ship the package.

Not so worried about that at this point. He's not so sophisticated of a scammer.  And because he has left a trail of evidence, it is only a matter of time. Even if the package were to arrive, I would not accept it.

But we still need to make sure that he never does this again. On this site for sure. How do we go about assuring that he is monitored?

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #37 of 39
So this thread was originally removed from the moderator because it was deemed harmful. But thanks to the moderator's understanding they have added it back after I pleaded my case.

Just an update - I am getting my money back from the credit card company.

This Stan guy has canceled both his e-mail addresses in essence cutting off all communication. But because he has left a paypal trail (pardon the pun) the long arm of the credit card company and paypal will be reaching into his account and retracting it. Thankfully.

So please everyone be aware of this guy's MO.

He may come back as a different user.

Basically he posts comments, buys and sells items that are low price. Then begins to sell (in this case unrelated to head fi such as computers, monitors etc) higher priced items and that is when people bite because he has built up a reputation of being trustworthy with posts and positive feedback for buying and selling.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #38 of 39
skoog5600,

I am glad that CC company will refund you.
In my case, I've paid him for the same Macbook Air using paypal balance as a gift (yeah, shame on me for being too trusting).

I hope that he gets what he deserves.

As there is telling in my county "A dolt gets beating even in the church" 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #39 of 39
Don't be so hard on yourself. We both trusted the guy based upon what he posted and bought and sold on this site with the feedback. We just made the mistake of sending a gift payment via paypal. It's part of the risk ... but now that it has been corroborated that he is a scammer I wonder if there are any other head fi'ers that have been scammed by Anacondastan?

Quote:
skoog5600,

I am glad that CC company will refund you.
In my case, I've paid him for the same Macbook Air using paypal balance as a gift (yeah, shame on me for being too trusting).

I hope that he gets what he deserves.

As there is telling in my county "A dolt gets beating even in the church" 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back