Do I need an amp?
Nov 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jt4266

New Head-Fier
I searched through the forum but couldn't find a clear answer.

I am looking to upgrade from my laptops integrated audio and the Audioengine A2 caught my eye as a solid and small desktop speaker for my bedroom. I would like to buy a USB DAC and am considering a couple(EMU 0202 or HotAudio).

For these particular speakers would I need an amp or would an amp greatly benefit the sound?

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jt4266 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I searched through the forum but couldn't find a clear answer.

I am looking to upgrade from my laptops integrated audio and the Audioengine A2 caught my eye as a solid and small desktop speaker for my bedroom. I would like to buy a USB DAC and am considering a couple(EMU 0202 or HotAudio).

For these particular speakers would I need an amp or would an amp greatly benefit the sound?

Thanks!

No you don't need an amp. Those are multimedia speakers you know, you're not supposed to need amps for multimedia speakers...
wink.gif

But you can use a DAC if you want or a USB DAC/amp too, and the amp would just work as a pre-amp...

I believe you're using onboard sound? In that case it could be useful to get an USB DAC/amp as a practical and reasonably cheap way to improve sound quality, and to reduce R.F. interference noise from the inside of the computer case.

Nov 12, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 6
they are powered speakers, so amp is built in.
You connect them to the line-out of the DAC.
You can then control the volume via the speakers.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 6
never heard of hotaudio, emu 0202 should be decent (I have 0404usb for pc use and its very ok).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back