Do I need an AMP/DAC for the Focal Clear MG?
Nov 14, 2023 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

noblevo

New Head-Fier
MHi all, I'm new here and I don't want to come off as ignorant so ignore me if I say anything stupid.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to AMPs & DACs but I have received some suggestions from a reputable person at the Podcastage Discord who knows about this stuff. I'm looking to get some more opinions from a broader audience here. I should mention that I have a Rodecaster Duo and was considering running the Focals through it since they're very easy to drive, but some told me I wouldn't get the full "experience/as good of a sound when compared to a properly paired AMP/DAC."

I wouldn't know because I haven't got an AMP/DAC to compare side by side with my interface, so what I'm planning to do is pick up the most suggested unit(s), the one that makes the most sense for the Focals and if I don't notice a significant improvement during A/B tests I'll return it. That's if you guys really think it's worth it to get an external AMP/DAC to begin with.

I should mention the Focals will be the only headphones I'll be using and my budget is $700 USD and below, if that's overkill.

Some suggestions I've received thus far were:

Garage1217 Project SUNRISE 3.1 - Schiit Asgard - AKM DAC "(the modern Velvet Sound^TM)." He wasn't too clear on that one."

Also curious what people who've tried both the OG Clears and Clear MGs prefer.

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 40
An amp would would be helpful to get the most out of them. I would maybe check out the focal thread and see what others are saying.

Check out the Jotunheim with a DAC card. It's a very good clean amp that will cover you needs for a long long time. For the money, the Asgard 3 with a DAC card is also hard to beat.

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 40
MHi all, I'm new here and I don't want to come off as ignorant so ignore me if I say anything stupid.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to AMPs & DACs but I have received some suggestions from a reputable person at the Podcastage Discord who knows about this stuff. I'm looking to get some more opinions from a broader audience here. I should mention that I have a Rodecaster Duo and was considering running the Focals through it since they're very easy to drive, but some told me I wouldn't get the full "experience/as good of a sound when compared to a properly paired AMP/DAC."

I wouldn't know because I haven't got an AMP/DAC to compare side by side with my interface, so what I'm planning to do is pick up the most suggested unit(s), the one that makes the most sense for the Focals and if I don't notice a significant improvement during A/B tests I'll return it. That's if you guys really think it's worth it to get an external AMP/DAC to begin with.

I should mention the Focals will be the only headphones I'll be using and my budget is $700 USD and below, if that's overkill.

Some suggestions I've received thus far were:

Garage1217 Project SUNRISE 3.1 - Schiit Asgard - AKM DAC "(the modern Velvet Sound^TM)." He wasn't too clear on that one."

Also curious what people who've tried both the OG Clears and Clear MGs prefer.
Asgard 3 is a good Amp, but the price has gone up by $80 since I purchased mine a few years ago. I have since upgraded but it is still a solid amp. Schiit Audio also has Midgard out now which is slightly cheaper but it has a different sound profile than Asgard (according to the Midgard thread) https://www.schiit.com/products/midgard
If yo can swing it the Modi Multibit 2 DAC would pair well with the Asgard 3. If you want a more budget oriented all in one option Schiit Audio is coming out with a DAC+AMP combo version of the Magni Amp which is supposed to have a sub $200 price point. I think it was $189 for the version with the pre installed DAC. There are some new Aune offerings as well, but they will most likely be over budget after tax and shipping.
While you will most likely get plenty of good recommendations it will ultimately come down to what sounds good to you. Everyone perceives sound differently, and we can only hope to point you in the right direction. Good luck with your decision and happy listening.

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 40
Asgard 3 is a good Amp, but the price has gone up by $80 since I purchased mine a few years ago. I have since upgraded but it is still a solid amp. Schiit Audio also has Midgard out now which is slightly cheaper but it has a different sound profile than Asgard (according to the Midgard thread) https://www.schiit.com/products/midgard
If yo can swing it the Modi Multibit 2 DAC would pair well with the Asgard 3. If you want a more budget oriented all in one option Schiit Audio is coming out with a DAC+AMP combo version of the Magni Amp which is supposed to have a sub $200 price point. I think it was $189 for the version with the pre installed DAC. There are some new Aune offerings as well, but they will most likely be over budget after tax and shipping.
While you will most likely get plenty of good recommendations it will ultimately come down to what sounds good to you. Everyone perceives sound differently, and we can only hope to point you in the right direction. Good luck with your decision and happy listening.
This! Good suggestion. I have a Modius and it sounds fantastic for the price. I use it to feed my Jotunheim 2. If you're ok with a stack, M Modius/Midgard stack should be awesome.

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 40
You don’t NEED one, they are easy to drive headphones, but a good source is always good to have. If I had 700$ to spend today and Focal Clears were my only headphones, I would buy something like a Qudelix-5k and use the remaining 600$ to buy another headphone :)

Nov 14, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 40
You don’t NEED one, they are easy to drive headphones, but a good source is always good to have. If I had 700$ to spend today and Focal Clears were my only headphones, I would buy something like a Qudelix-5k and use the remaining 600$ to buy another headphone :)
Another good point! I had the Clear back in the day and remember that is does scale well with higher end gear.

Nov 14, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 40
Also take a look at the Chord Mojo 2. That's an outstanding device. Good power and really good EQ. You can use it on the go or desktop.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 40
For Focals I've had, they aren't that hard to drive. I'd focus on sound quality and the Topping DX5 lite would be perfect. I have the regular one but the lite just doesn't have MQA support which isn't worth paying extra for anyway. Perfect channel matching, plenty of power, and complete transparency if you use FLAC files.

Nov 14, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 40
You don't need a ton of power for the Clears, so Id get something like a Qudelix 5k or an SMSL C200 if you want something desktop.

I have owned the MG Clears and the OG Clears. I prefer the OGs.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 40
They don't sound like a 1K headphone. HE6SE V2 is far superior, had them both. My HE-500 is also way better sounding.

The Clear OG is like a more expensive and uncomfortable HD600 and the Clear MG is like a more expensive and uncomfortable HD650.

I actually had the Elex side by side the MG and they traded blows, I think overall the Elex is better - much more of an open and expansive stage.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 40
They don't sound like a 1K headphone. HE6SE V2 is far superior, had them both. My HE-500 is also way better sounding.

The Clear OG is like a more expensive and uncomfortable HD600 and the Clear MG is like a more expensive and uncomfortable HD650.

I actually had the Elex side by side the MG and they traded blows, I think overall the Elex is better.
Welll, that's fair. I could also tell that Hifiman headphones timbre is off and sounds fake to me. Also, the dynamics got no chance against Focal headphones, not even the HE6SE.
But that's not the point of this thread, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back