Do I need a sUrface 1030? (Mouse Pads)
Aug 15, 2004 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

lojay

1000+ Head-Fier
For graphical and web design on a mere 1024x768, and tons of web surfing without gaming needs, what mouse pad do you think would hit the sweet spot? Currently I don't use my Logitech optical with a mouse pad or mouse skatez at all, and the gliding really sucks. It's like they're stuck to the table with bubble gum....very un-smooth. I want my mouse to FLY baby!
very_evil_smiley.gif

So, I want to buy the best mouse pad I can afford. I'm thinking of getting an everglide or a fUnc sUrface 1030 plus Mouse Skatez, to work with my Logitech Optical Mouse (the old red one). Do I need such a high presicion gaming mouse pad if all I do is surf the net?

PS..Using an mouse without a pad sucks, as it moves with too much friction. I kind of like how there's this mouse cord clip on the sUrface 1030 BTW.

Aug 15, 2004 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 31
which logitech are you using ? you know that older logitech mouse isnt so compatible with certain mousepads dont you ?
if i were you, i would get the best wired mouse first, before jumping into hardcore mousepads, which if im not mistaken can cost you hundreds of dollars..

maybe this Logitech MX510 ?

im using MX500, and been very happy with it even though my mousepad is only that crappy $2 mousepad from supermarket, and i dont use skatez and all that...

but if you only surf the net... i cant see why you need all these high end mouse stuff.. i think simple microsoft optical will do the job perfectly...
unless you are a hardcore FPS gamers or doing some graphic stuff then you need proper mouse..

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 31
The best pad you can afford eh? Well, fUnc 1030 is a tried and true model but it's not an everlasting one - I would estimate a lifespan of one to two years depending on the amount of use. There are now several more refined pads out now or soon, such as:

QPad
Razer eXactMat
Steelpad S&S

Damn, I feel... geeky for having extensive mousepad knowledge
wink.gif
Used an Icemat before myself but the constant cleaning became a nuisance after two years. I'll propably get a QPad next.

You might want to buy a new mouse, too. The MX300/310 should fit the bill nicely.

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 31
Thanks for looking! I'm using a Logitech Wheel Optical (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1), and its rubber feet are worn out. Here's a pic:
49.gif

I'd like to buy a good mouse pad before I move on to the MX 510, as I've had nice experiences with my current mouse before when my mouse feet and mouse pad were still intact.

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 31
I'd say first get a good mouse and some cheap pad with it. A new pad won't make wonders. I like Logitech's design so I'd recommend either MX310 or MX510.

I'm very happy with my Logitech Dual Optical and fUnc. The rough side of the pad ate my mouse skates in a year but the mouse still glides very well.

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 31
my mouse's rubbers are all worn out already... and still works perfectly.... why ?
i think its the matter of the quality of the optical ?

i agree with everyone here that suggest to get mouse first..
and while youre at it... i recommend getting MX500 at least... once youre used to that "back and forward" side buttons, you cant live without them anymore...
like me, i am so used to it already, everytime i use the PC at my uni, i keep doing this thumb click while i am browsing the net... but since my uni uses microsoft optical mouse... so i feel like a stupid clicking buttons that are not there...
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 31
Well, it sucks when the mouse's not smooth. I'm real sensitive with this "smoothness" issue. I "kind of" do web graphics and design for a living, and as a hobby as well. So I absolutely deserve smooth "mousing"
biggrin.gif

Hope my current mouse is enough for use...if 800 dpi is good or anything.

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 31
The presicion and tracking of the mouse is OK, but it's how the mouse lags and sticks to my wooden table that's the problem. I just can't stand the huge friction.

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 31
Average 124? (I'm using USB now)

biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 31
i think you need to get a new mouse, hehe...
my mouse's average is 196, and personal best is 224...

time for you to buy new logitech
biggrin.gif

or maybe you can change your USB connection to PS/1 first (using adaptor), and then overclock your mouse to 200 Hz from mouse properties...
if you can do that, then see how it goes from there... if its still low, then you need to get new mouse.

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 31
OK, I'll try that now.

So what are nice contenders for my use? Is the MX 510 the best wired mouse from Logitech? I have tried the new Microsoft ones briefly, but didn't find much difference from the Logitech MX 510...

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:34 AM Post #13 of 31
i think for wired one, its hard to beat MX510... once youre used to that side buttons, as i told you before, you wouldnt use any other mouse.

i personally think logitech is the best one for mouse...
although for keyboard i prefer microsoft.

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 31
Wow, we're close. I got an average range from 192 to 196 and i saw 2xx pop up on the right side too. So does that mean I don't need a new mouse?

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 31
dont know... why dont you buy a new, cheap mousepad and see whether you are happy with the mouse then ?

but i assume since your mouserate is increased now, its more precise isnt it?
usually if you feel like you are "dragging" your mouse, thats the case of low mouserate... but since its 190-ish now, i think you just solved the problem ?

if not, then maybe you can get a new one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back