Do I need a DAC? KRK Rokit RP6s
Apr 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rickfire

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Right this has been bugging me all day, i'm very confused by the whole DAC thing. I've got a pair of KRK Rokit RP6 G2's I love them, they're amazing but they're setup like this:

Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 > 3.5mm to Phono > RP6

Now, i've read a lot online and I understand that onboard DACs are no good. They distort the sound due to noise within the case etc etc. So is this true? Would I really get a really audible change if I upgraded to a £150 DAC? I have noticed elements of tracks are slightly distorted.

Also, what would it change, I've read a lot about them 'colouring' the sound and changing the 'sound stage' - what does this mean? Do they effectively EQ it?

And finally, could someone spec me a DAC for circa £150? I was looking at the HRT Music Streamer II and the Dacmagic 100. Oh also, I use them for listening and occasionally mixing and I listen to mainly electronic dance music.

Cheers guys :)

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 2
For the cost of the MSII, all your questions will be answered the instant you hear the results for yourself. Trust me - its significantly better than onboard sound - 'bigger', cleaner and much closer to what you would expect from a dedicated hi-fi system, I have no idea how good your speakers are, but the MSII should make an improvement with even the most modest kit - this isnt empty hype : HRT released the first Music Streamer several years ago and it was an instant hit. Your system will only ever be as good as the weakest link, but getting a decent DAC is, IMO, a  no-brainer. We can talk about soundstage and instrument separation for days, but you need to hear the results for yourself - do it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back