Do I need a better amp for Hd650?
Jan 7, 2015 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kylemcg

Head-Fier
I have a last generation if e7 portable amplifier that i use with my hd650. With the e7, the headphones easily play very loud without seeming to tax the amp, but i wonder from more experienced audiophiles if a better amp will make a discernible difference. I listen to 320kbps mostly with some lossless from my macbook pro and sometimes my iPhone 6+. I am only interested in portable amplifiers as i move around with my laptop and iPhone, my price rang is less than $500, but id like to spend less if there isn't a need for an expensive amp, I'm just looking to get 100% out of my Hd650's. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 5
  I have a last generation if e7 portable amplifier that i use with my hd650. With the e7, the headphones easily play very loud without seeming to tax the amp, but i wonder from more experienced audiophiles if a better amp will make a discernible difference. I listen to 320kbps mostly with some lossless from my macbook pro and sometimes my iPhone 6+. I am only interested in portable amplifiers as i move around with my laptop and iPhone, my price rang is less than $500, but id like to spend less if there isn't a need for an expensive amp, I'm just looking to get 100% out of my Hd650's. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I here the Cayin C5 pairs fantastically with HD650 and is only $170. I'm just recently ordered one myself.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 5
i can't answer from experience but i can tell you what i have read. i just got a new set of HD600's and i have been researching portable amps for about a week. the E12 is the only FiiO folks consider suitable for harder to drive cans like yours & mine (and not the E12A, btw). i am awaiting shipment on a used E12 right now. it seems they can pretty easily be found for $100 or less, fyi. but your budget is considerable so i'd bet you could do even better than the E12.

and if you truly do want to get the most our of your 650's then you should probably start by dedicating some weekend to re-ripping your collection into lossless, but you probably already know that.

and then there's your source device. fine to use laptop or iphone with an amp but probably not worth it if you're using the headphone jacks -- are you? or are you using the line out? (i'm sure you already know this too - i'm just double checking)

and the Cayin does indeed look very interesting. i only learned of it after sending payment for my E12. not sure which one i would have bought if i had known about it earlier.

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 5

for my line out i use a usb for DAC thats built into the e7, so if possible i would like an amp/dac, i guess i should have mentioned that before. If I'm in the car or airplane, i would really rather not have to lug around an amp and a separate dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back