Do I need 2 different multi filiment nylon for the "Y" or does 1 size fit all? and other ?'s
Mar 11, 2009 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

moomooemu

100+ Head-Fier
How do you know what size to use?

Say I want to recable using Mogami 2534...how do i know what size of nylon to use??? just 1 size for all of it? or will i need to get a bigger size for the main cable and then a smaller one for the 2 smaller splits???

also am I supposed to use heatshrink or just the nylon?? what size heatshrink then?? can you use both?

would i need a smaller size or bigger size if im using a 1/8 jack instead of 1/4?

does it matter what type of solder to use? any recommend me some good solder?

also how do i make the Y? After I split it up and just use heatshrink???

so confusing
frown.gif
ive tried reading through the threads but it still doesnt answer all questions
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm not sure if 3/16 will fit the Mogami but that's what I personally use for the main sleeving anyway. I find 1/4 too large for my liking.

For the Y-split, use either 1/8 or just heatshrink (more attractive-looking but less protected this way). I personally go into a brick&mortar store and hand-pick the heatshrinks that will fit for this purpose so I can't unfortunately tell you what diameter they usually are.

Adhesived, dual-walled heatshrinks are perfect for sealing the Y-split.

Cheers!

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 15
Yeah because multi won't stretch much, you want to match the cable closely. So two sizes required, or re-thread some rubber outer to the y-sections so the outside diameter is the same. But I wouldn't bother. I have only used expandable so can't confirm the right size for you sorry.

Heatshrink is more than sufficient, there's rarely much force trying to seperate the ends so it only really serves to aesthetically cover the join.

Solder, depends on how far you want to go. I use standard 60/40 from my local shop, some use fancy Cardas non-eutectic whatever it is - but I can't afford that as it's fairly hefty in cost!

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 15
alright thanks...helps alot!

but does anyone know where i can buy some of the multifiliment nylon without buying it in bulk? i went here cableorganizer.com but they only offer in bulk. i saw another place but you had to buy it through ebay. are there any other websites????

also on the heatshrink, what size and ratio do i buy?

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 15
You'll want 1/4" for Mogami 2534. You might be able to fit 3/16" (don't take my word for it), but it would take FOREVER to stretch across any reasonable length.

With the 1/4", you need to make sure you fully stretch it out afterwards, so that it fits snug against the cable. Otherwise, it'll be too bulky.

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 15
few questions...

when putting the Mogami 2534 into the multifiliment nylon....is it just supposed to be the wires??? not the plastic covering and not the copper covering?

and why are there 5 wires? There's 2 blue, 2 white, and 1 smaller clear wire right in the middle...what's up with that?

how do I know which one is the right channel and which one is the left channel? well actually i guess that depends on where you solder but since they are both the same color, how do you know which goes to which phone when soldering the plug? you konw what im trying to say? cause ive seen wires where its 3 colors so you know which is which.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 15
You could do it either way, but keep in mind without the outer jacket and copper shielding it will have a smaller diameter. I'd just leave it on.

The small clear one in the center is not a conductor, just a filler of sorts.

And as for the channels, use a multimeter. If you don't have one you can also solder the plug on, plug it into a source and hold the leads to a cheap speaker. Making sure to change the balance to either the left or right. If both those aren't viable options then.....I suppose you could solder it all up and hope for the best and resolder if needed. You've got a 50/50 chance that way.

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 15
is white ground or is blue ground?

or is the copper shield ground??

do i even need to use the copper shield? im confused or can i just use the white and blue? cant i just choose whatever?

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 15
If you're going to take off the rubbery sheathing, then you might as well take off the shield as well. The shield won't provide any benefit and removing it will reduce the weight and increase the flexibility of the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back