Do I have a virus of some sort?
Jan 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

roker

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm browsing the forums and an advert on the side claims super cheap Nanos and iTouches, I click on it and it's a site of bootleg iPods. Now I didn't think this site would allow an advertiser to list something like this on the website so I tried to reload the browser over and over again to see if I can replicate it, but to no avail.

The name of the company is DHGate.com, this isn't really an advertiser here is it?

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 6
It's another case of the phantom ad. What virus protection do you have?

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Ad brokers pay to have ads desplayed with services like AdSense who pay to have them inserted to websites. AdSense is actually one of the better ones but even they can be fooled. There are also many services with fewer scruples than Google that carry and insert more, let's say, questionable ads. And these ads can infect a computer through things such as flash and java. Most of the time the actual hosting (like head-fi) site doesn't know where an ad originated or who's responsible for it.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the New York Times have a problem with an ad that infected people's computers? They quickly had the ad pulled but a lot of people were infected. If it can happen to the New York Times...

And yes there viruses for Mac's, and as they grab marketshare there will be more. Not that Apple will admit it. Until now it's been security through obscurity but more Mac's will equal more viruses. Even a Mac should be running some sort of virus protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back