Do headphones survive in cold weather?
Jan 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Xymordos

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm going to Beijing for vacation tomorrow, and I was planning to bring my ER4P and XB700 with me. I thought that the XBs could keep my ears warm while I listen to music :p

Would they die in Beijing? The temperature would be below 0C

Oh and, thanks:)

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 37
depends on how much below 0 i guess

here I use some headphones outside during winter time, up until -5-8, nothing happens

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 37
The lowest it gets on the weather report is -13C
Horrible time to go on vacation I say...

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 37
ER4 plus earmuff/ear protection + warm ears, safe earphones and 100 percent isolation. I dont think you would even hear a plane take off 10 meters away with a class 5 earmuff (~34Db isolation) and ER4 (~42Db isolation) though you might feel it.

Quote:
The lowest it gets on the weather report is -13C
Horrible time to go on vacation I say...

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 37
I think my XBs will be fine, since i brought them to beijing last time, their cushions got rock hard though =="
I could wear by XB over my ER4 :D

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 37
The only thing I would worry about is plastic parts possibly getting brittle in the cold and cracking.  I've worn numerous headphones outside in temps down to -30F.  Not sure what that translates to in C.  These were mostly portables and they all did fine.  Going from extreme cold to room temp will also build up condensation for a while.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 37
-30F is -34C...where the hell do you live O.O
Thats FREEZING. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 37

Just don't wear wood headphones or particularly fragile ones. Leather probably isn't the best idea either. We got a cold snap in Toronto last week, and it was -20 Celsius. My HD25s did fine outside, although the cable stiffened up from the cold. If the cushions got hard, I wouldn't recommend wearing them outside for fear of stiffening them permanently. But that's just me.
Quote:
-30F is -34C...where the hell do you live O.O
Thats FREEZING. 

Obviously he lives in North Dakota.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 37
0 to -13?  Wear any without fear.  

I've never had any problems with my headphones when wearing them in winter.  I often use my Senn CX300s or Beyer DT770s (these make great ear muffs!!), and sometimes the KSC75s during the winter.  The temps here range from -20C to below -30C and I've never had any issues.  When its snowing I only wear the CX300s, since they're the worst of the 3 and are the most protected from the elements when I have them on my head.  

Edit:  I agree with 12345142 about making sure the headphones aren't too fragile.  The headphones I use are IEMs (CX300), or have a metal headband/clip which makes them quite sturdy.  I would not recommend wearing something with only a plastic headband, although I see other people doing so daily around here.  YMMV.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 37

Be careful too when you move from outside to inside, or in to out. The temperature swing is extreme. You'll want to be sure you don't end up with condensation in your electronics. Try to make gradual changes and either keep them sealed from potential moisture or let them dry in the open before using them after you come inside.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 37

Quote:
The only thing I would worry about is plastic parts possibly getting brittle in the cold and cracking.  I've worn numerous headphones outside in temps down to -30F.  Not sure what that translates to in C.  These were mostly portables and they all did fine.  Going from extreme cold to room temp will also build up condensation for a while.

ya where do you live. it barely goes below -5C in kelowna bc canada. -34C is way to cold for me.

and on a side note. will -5C to 5C harm my headphones specifically going in and out of buildings with a large temperature difference.

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 37
If you're wearing the headphone, they won't get nearly that cold because your body heat will keep them warm, especially if they are closed headphones which means that cold air isn't coming in from the outside and hitting the driver directly.  I would worry more about leaving them in a car in the freezing cold or something like that.  But if they are on your head or in your ears, they will be closer to your body temp than the outside temp. 

Condensation seems like something to think about though, I don't think moisture and drivers go well together.

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #13 of 37
When I had the ER4P few years back the left side constantly went out in freezing temperatures. I thought it was permanently broken until I went back into my house and the sound came right back. I repeated the process thinking it was a one time thing but it was the same results..no sound in cold weather. So based on my experience I wouldn't suggest the Etys. Ultimate Ears on the other hand worked flawlessly during my commutes in winter.

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #14 of 37
Turns out its not that cold in Beijing, its generally above 0 for day time, but drops by 10C at night.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 37
I'm pretty sure my HD25s survive anything. The cable does get stiff as a board, though.  I think that was when wearing them in -15C weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back