Do headphone extension cables lessen sound quality?
Jan 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cloudlife

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of $200 headphones I wanna use for gaming on my T.V.

Problem is the wire isn't long enough so I wanna buy an extension, maybe something around 5-10 ft. At the same time since they are a nice pair of headphones and I value high quality sound I wanna make sure I'm not loosing any sound quality by doing this.

Will this be a problem? Could you possibly recommend something for me where I won't lose quality of sound? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
I have a pair of $200 headphones I wanna use for gaming on my T.V.

Problem is the wire isn't long enough so I wanna buy an extension, maybe something around 5-10 ft. At the same time since they are a nice pair of headphones and I value high quality sound I wanna make sure I'm not loosing any sound quality by doing this.

Will this be a problem? Could you possibly recommend something for me where I won't lose quality of sound? Thanks.

Five to 10 feet is nothing. What kind of headphones do you have?

In almost every case, any of Monoprice's extension cables will work perfectly.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 13
I owned Grado headphone extension cable before and found they do deterioate sound quality, but not to the extent I would worry for TV and gaming.

For low price option I found the new QED Performance Graphite headphone extension cord to be very nice. Definitely an improvement over Grado. Check out the plug size is right for you though.

If you want the best, DiMarzio Big Red Headphone Extension has been reported by a few to have almost non-discernable degrade in signal.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
I owned Grado headphone extension cable before and found they do deterioate sound quality, but not to the extent I would worry for TV and gaming.

For low price option I found the new QED Performance Graphite headphone extension cord to be very nice. Definitely an improvement over Grado. Check out the plug size is right for you though.

If you want the best, DiMarzio Big Red Headphone Extension has been reported by a few to have almost non-discernable degrade in signal.

Could you possibly provide links? I don't know much about where to purchase these and what types.

Quote:

Five to 10 feet is nothing. What kind of headphones do you have?

In almost every case, any of Monoprice's extension cables will work perfectly.

I have Sennheisers 555's and Studio Dre beats

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 13
Generally a cheap extension cable will deteriorate the sound quality, although you shouldn't be worried as watching movies and gaming isn't a critical listening session. Another option would to get your cans recabled with a longer cable. Depending on the quality of that cable the SQ wouldn't deteriorate and possible improve the SQ, although since the cable isn't detachable for the 555s you'll have to do a DIY. not sure about the beats, though.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Generally a cheap extension cable will deteriorate the sound quality, although you shouldn't be worried as watching movies and gaming isn't a critical listening session. Another option would to get your cans recabled with a longer cable. Depending on the quality of that cable the SQ wouldn't deteriorate and possible improve the SQ, although since the cable isn't detachable for the 555s you'll have to do a DIY. not sure about the beats, though.

What kind of activities would be prone to decrease in sound quality?

Also could you recommend something affordable yet good for my purposes?

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 13
I use this cable with my hd800  (because I wanted to preserve soundcard while plugging/unplugging  different headphones).
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103866&locale=en_US

I wish it was smaller, but that's what I found  on the locale store.
I think it's fine.

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Since I found this thread in a search, I thought it better to reply here with a question, then you start another thread on the subject. Right now my current setup has my headphones connected to a male to female 10 foot aux 5 dollar cable. When my headphone amp comes in tomorrow, I am going to have to use the cable that comes with it to connect between the extension and the amp.

I fear that the combination of a low quality cable and using a dual connection style, might deter audio quality enough to notice. What I want to do is get a high quality male to male aux cable, that way I only have one cable going between the speaker headphone out port, straight into the amp. So I was planning on getting this cable, it seems to be the only one that is widely accepted as being top of the line, however the price tag is super steep of 20 dollars!

So my question is, what do you guys think?
GRIFFIN GC17094-2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BVW7ILA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A22GQDLVH5BQK7

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 13
After a goodnight sleep I said to myself, screw it, you only live once, so I bought the expensive cable lol.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #13 of 13

After a goodnight sleep I said to myself, screw it, you only live once, so I bought the expensive cable lol.

Makes you wonder how expensive is an expensive cable? 

30$? 

there are good headphones at 50$ price and their cables most certainly aren't bad. 

HAHA - Its a 20 dollar cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BVW7ILA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A22GQDLVH5BQK7

Although I have paid 30 dollars for a cable once, but it was the highest quality 15 foot VGA cable with gold plated connectors for a computer that only had VGA, but wanted the best I could get to connect it to a big screen tv. Truthfully, I guess its all relative and that of a persons personal preference. But in my personal opinion, cheap thin cables that use an aluminum core and plastic insulator jacket arn't going to make the cut. I prefer thick cables that use a copper core with gold plated ends and as close to rubber as possible insulator jacket. Although my experience with these flat based cables are also very acceptable, I own two of them now. The cable from Griffin is a flat cable, and I also got a USB cable that is flat, that is providing that power to the Fiio A3 amp, I've been quite pleased with them.

Griffin also makes a 3 foot version of their cable for only 6 bucks if I remember right, you know for portable use. But I use my cans for permanent use, not portable on the go, thats what my bluetooth headset is for. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back