Do electrostatics turn you into a 'Snob-O-Phile'?
Sep 17, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #46 of 57
How many think this happens on almost any level, not just at the electrostatics? How many people bought their first pair of PortaPros and then sniffed at all the $20 headphones and stock headphones? Then when they got the HD600s or upper end Beyers, sniffed at the lower end Grado line and Koss line?
How many people sniff at lower end cars when they get their Porsche or BMW 7 series? Too many people let themselves get defined by their posessions when it comes down to it.

Sep 18, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #47 of 57
of experience with electrostatic speakers, including Quad ESL63s and my self-built units. I also have two sets of Koss ESP/950s.

The only thing I find lacking in the ESL63s is low bass response. The ESP/950 headphones sound almost exactly like the speakers (ultra low distortion, perfect transients, smooth frequency response) except that they add the deep bass that is missing from the speakers.

I don't have any problem with good dynamic headphones (I like Sennheiser's top of the line models and find them comparable to the ESP/950s).

I settled on electrostatic technology as the way to go (for me) about 15 years ago when I was doing research into speakers and started building my own electrostatics. Prior to building my own, I never had an opportunity to listen to electrtrostatic speakers. The first time I heard sound coming out of one of my test drivers, I was hooked.

Even though I am big on electrostatics, I am the opposite of a high-end snob. I like CDs better than vinyl. I like solid state amps better than tubes. I am not a believer in cables, green pens, and other audiophile debris. I don't think it makes any difference whether an amp is in a bronze and spruce box (suitable finished with violin lacquer) or your run of the mill aluminum box. I'm not convinced that there is much audible difference between amps with similar specs. I'm not much of a believer in subjective evaluations of equipment.

I have two cars. A honda Odyssey minivan and a BMW 525. Of the two, I prefer the Honda. It is far more reliable and much less expensive to repair, and more comfortable on long trips. When people ask me, I usually steer them away from BMW purchases.

I generally avoid "fine" wine and gatherings of people who love it. I lived in the bay area for about 7 years and can't tell you how many times I went out with friends where the self-proclaimed wine expert in the group had to select just the right $75 bottle of wine to perfectly compliment the $5 hamburgers we were eating. When I moved to Texas I'm not sure if I was happier to move because of the income tax or to be free of wine snobs.

So, all in all, I don't think that electrostatics turn people into snobs. Some people have that sort of thing in their personality and it only takes the right thing to bring it out (cars, wine, audio, art, food, women, and etc.).

MR

Sep 18, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #48 of 57
What if you like hi end stuff like Bryston and you also like items from Denon, Marantz and HK? Here I have a mixure of hi end and what many hi end owners call mid-fi. I also like the sound of both separates and receivers. I do think that separates sound a little better but I find music just as enjoyable on a good receiver too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
What if you like hi end stuff like Bryston and you also like items from Denon, Marantz and HK? Here I have a mixure of hi end and what many hi end owners call mid-fi. I also like the sound of both separates and receivers. I do think that separates sound a little better but I find music just as enjoyable on a good receiver too.
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=medium]Then you are a part-time snob, naturally![/size]
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 18, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #50 of 57
Baah... the difference between a snobbery and a preference lies in these two statements:

* Electrostatics sound better to me, I prefer them to dynamic cans

* Electrostatics are the only decent headphones, dynamic headphones suck

The latter is snobbery, the former is a preference for electrostatic cans. I really don't think any piece of equipment can turn someone into a snob who didn't have a predisposition to become one in the first place.

Sep 21, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Dusty,

Take a look at the Stax SR404 cans and the SRM-006t or SRM313 amp. Combined they cost WAY less than most combos of a good set of dynamic cans and amp. The 404sonly run $400 brand new, and the 313 amp is about the same. That means you have about $800 or less and get some incredible sound. If you buy them used you could save another 50%. I got my 404s used and think they are incredible.

I will look into it at some point in the future, but by "entry level", I meant for laypeople, as in sub-snicker-level prices by most of the rest of the population.

Sep 22, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
A point that was brought up at the last Seattle minimeet was that electrostats have a way of turning their owners into snobs... I know I find myself subconciously considering dynamic headphones to be "incurably inferior" or "means to an end (that is, a powered-by-Kevin-Gilmore electrostatic end)".

Anyone else notice this?

Dynamics ARE 'incurably inferior'. It's physics!

See, you've nothing to worry about!

Sep 22, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by MKR

(Snip)

Even though I am big on electrostatics, I am the opposite of a high-end snob. I like CDs better than vinyl. I like solid state amps better than tubes. I am not a believer in cables, green pens, and other audiophile debris. I'm not convinced that there is much audible difference between amps with similar specs. I'm not much of a believer in subjective evaluations of equipment.

I generally avoid "fine" wine and gatherings of people who love it. I lived in the bay area for about 7 years and can't tell you how many times I went out with friends where the self-proclaimed wine expert in the group had to select just the right $75 bottle of wine to perfectly compliment the $5 hamburgers we were eating. When I moved to Texas I'm not sure if I was happier to move because of the income tax or to be free of wine snobs.

So, all in all, I don't think that electrostatics turn people into snobs. Some people have that sort of thing in their personality and it only takes the right thing to bring it out (cars, wine, audio, art, food, women, and etc.).

MR

I generally agree with you, EXCEPT:

1. Green paint does tame the noise on CD's with some CD players. (I A/B tested them with two copies of the same CD).

2. Monster Cable $100 interconnect sounds better than $50 Monster Cable interconnect. (I A/B tested them.)

3. Complex wines are best with simple dishes, and simple wines best with complex dishes. Your friends are not mad.

Sep 22, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
(I A/B tested them.)

Never mind. I just can't say it
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Never mind. I just can't say it
tongue.gif

I A/B tested them (the Monster Cables), back and forth, 10 times. Changing the cheaper ones for the more expensive ones does not produce as much effect as taking the better ones off and putting the cheaper ones on. The ear is quick to accept and assimilate the better sound as 'normal', and your ears/brain don't like it at all when you take that away. In other words, stepping up is not as noticeable as stepping down, and this was as interesting a phenomenon as the finding that there was an audible difference between them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back