Do different pads make a noticible difference in sound quality?
Jan 26, 2014 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Stuff Jones

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read some people who suggest that the righ pads can make significant improvements in SQ. Is this true?

I've got the Koss DJ100s, which are a great bargain but I've got upgrade-itis. I can't justify new headphones so I'm thinking about new pads instead. Any suggestions?

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Even eartips on earphones can make difference in sound. So do pads. But, in terms of improvement, nothing can be assured. It is because the definition of sound improvement differs by person.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Do pads affect the sound yes.  How big a difference is entirely subjective and can only be determined individually.

Besides the acoustic properties of the materials pads are made of there are a couple of other factors at play.  One is the seal that circumaural pads create and the other is the distance the driver is held away from the ear canal.   Old worn pads should be replaced, but trying to mod your headphones with pads to cure your upgradeitis will likely only lead to disappointment.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 9
i would say too, that it depends on how much pressure the band places on the earcups as to how much a earpad would make a difference in sound.

then you need to take into consideration materials the pads are made out of.

Alot of different variables to take into consideration.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 9
I've read some people who suggest that the righ pads can make significant improvements in SQ. Is this true?

I've got the Koss DJ100s, which are a great bargain but I've got upgrade-itis. I can't justify new headphones so I'm thinking about new pads instead. Any suggestions?

Is there a specific EQ issue you're trying to remedy?

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 9
There are plenty of pad rolling options that are supposed to affect SQ. If I were you, I'd go on Amazon and buy a couple pairs to compare. Will they present you with a totally new headphone? Of course not. But they certainly can offer some noticeable changes in bass response, soundstage, treble definition, and comfort.

Just bear in mind, the sonic changes will be affected by the size of your head/ears so just because another head-fier makes a claim or observation regarding his pad rolling, your experience could be totally different.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 9
Pads, and ear tips (for IEMs) change the physical way the headphones will interact with you in various degrees and reasons.  They'll change the way the headphones will physically seal with your ear, how sound will be dispersed within the system, even add front-end ventilation.  Additionally, it will also move the driver different distances from your ear (breaking in pads does this as well).  With that said, pads will make a noticeable difference in a way something sounds.  How noticeable it will be depends on the design of the headphones and its drivers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back