Do different OS sound different?
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ScareDe2

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I do think there is a difference. I am also a believer that audio and video can be related. Look this: I was using Windows 7 Ultimate and for security reason I upgrade to 10 Pro (for free) using the microsoft link that still works. I use Black Hole Sun video clip as one of my reference for both sound and picture, took a screen before and after upgrading.

bhs comaprison win 10 win 7.png

Windows 7 Ultimate had "hotter" colors and slightly more details while Windows 10 Pro has a more dull look. I let you find out. Could be that both Operating System use different color conversion? I don't know. Please let me know or I could ask in a more specific video editing forum.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 8
Your question might be too generalized, to give a good answer?
What is the problem you are trying to fix?
It could just be you need to take the time to learn how to do adjustments (audio and picture) to the Windows OS or whatever program you use, to improve the quality.

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 8
Are you sure it is the same frame? Either way, might be a codec incompatibility with Win 10? Perhaps. What player are you using? Personally I recommend using something like PotPlayer and install the codecs it comes with. You might need to dial it in a bit, but I quite like the way it comes.

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Video is much more complicated compared to audio.

You have to deal with many parameters:
- decoding
- filtering
- gamma
- color range
- color space
- hdr
- many many more

All those parameters must be interpreted correctly and shown correctly. But there can be some visible differences between players or OS.

Audio (especially lossless pcm) is much more simple so each player will play it exactly the same way.
But still with audio there can be differences. Usually caused by mixing multiple sounds together or resampling to another samplerate.
So set your players output to exclusive wasapi. And make sure the output samplerate of your soundcard is the same as the audio file, or use a high quality resampler.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 8
In my experience, Apple devices provide accurate USB clock for audio output, if you use passive USB audio devices, and also macOS has great sound colour.

Is it only the mac Pro lineup, or mac air too. Also what daw/player do you use? There is a mac air at my house, I wasn't so satisfied with iTunes playback and all other software are paid. Would like to know if there are free alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back