do computers make good sources?
Nov 26, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #61 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch

An RME Digi 96/8 PST or PAD should sound better than even a modded DI/O, as far as I'm concerned. Those are pro-level cards with super low jitter everything on them. As good as or better than the stuff used in the recording studio to master the CDs you listen to. Very likely a future upgrade on my part...
wink.gif

Fewtch how much do one of these cards cost?

Nov 26, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #62 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
Fewtch how much do one of these cards cost?

I've seen them go for $150-$200 on eBay. New they'd probably be around $400 minimum (so I hear anyway).

Nov 26, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #63 of 160
I was looking at those RME cards and thinking wouldn't it be better if the cards were external, so as to seperate them from all the noise and/or vibration inside the case?

I know midiman makes external cards, and so do a lot of high end pc audio companies.

The RME looks sweet, but alas, it's internal. Also, would there be any benefit in hooking the RME up to a DAC or is the built in DAC sufficient?

Nov 26, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #64 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Iron Dreamer tried using my NEC CDR-602 to reclock his card.

Well? Did it work?

-Ed

I thought I immediately noticed a difference at the meet, but I didn't really have enought time/quiet to figure out for sure. I'm getting a 3XP Plus though, so we'll see in a week or so. I modded my DI/O a little so I could use it to reclock, but I couldn't tell any difference at all, absolutely none. Maybe that just means the DI/O has not so good of a clock.
confused.gif

Anyways here's a RME 96/8 PAD for only $275.

Nov 26, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #65 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by 3Double
I was looking at those RME cards and thinking wouldn't it be better if the cards were external, so as to seperate them from all the noise and/or vibration inside the case?

I know midiman makes external cards, and so do a lot of high end pc audio companies.

The RME looks sweet, but alas, it's internal.

So what? These cards are designed to withstand the environment inside a PC, in a way that typical electronics would not be. I think it's a false assumption to believe that anything inside a PC must sound worse, simply because it's inside a PC.

There's a lot of electrical noise inside a typical CD player (and in/around the rest of a typical home setup as well) from CD transport motors, laser mechanism motors, LED and LCD displays, various chips that emit RFI, power supplies that emit 60 Hz line noise EMI, etc... for some reason nobody complains about those, but this notion about the horrors inside a PC that destroy sound quality continue to persist... strange. But if you're just averse to the idea of it, then so be it I guess...

Nov 26, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #66 of 160
Internal cards by RME, Lynx, and Digital Audio Labs have been compared favorably to multi-thousand dollar stand-alone DAC's, so I think it's silly to say that if it's internal, it must suck. The card must just be designed properly. Unfortunately, few are, and the ain't cheap (by soundcard standards).

Nov 26, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #68 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Internal cards by RME, Lynx, and Digital Audio Labs have been compared favorably to multi-thousand dollar stand-alone DAC's, so I think it's silly to say that if it's internal, it must suck. The card must just be designed properly. Unfortunately, few are, and the ain't cheap (by soundcard standards).

Cards like the Audiophile 24/96, EWX 24/96, DMX 6Fire are supposed to be at the point of diminishing returns easily... given the tested S/N ratios, low distortion and etc. they must be properly designed as well.

I have a few doubts about the M-Audio Revo... gotta wonder if a card under $100 and basically aimed at the consumer market has a few compromises that the better pro-sumer cards don't, even though the DACs are supposed to be as good or better than some of the others. But who knows...

Nov 26, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #69 of 160
I would think so, since it compares with a soundcard that costs upwards of $1000 (Lynx2), from what I've read it's in a whole different league from the M-Audio products. I'm actually thinking of getting one myself, and seein if the analog out can stack up to my DAC. The RME would be a grat combo with the Gradce 901, and it sould only be about $50 more than the APUSB with PSU.

Nov 26, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #70 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch

I have a few doubts about the M-Audio Revo... gotta wonder if a card under $100 and basically aimed at the consumer market has a few compromises that the better pro-sumer cards don't, even though the DACs are supposed to be as good or better than some of the others. But who knows...

Well that was my experience, the analog sound of the Revo was noticeably worse than that of the pro-sumer 410, even though the Revo tested better in RMAA,

Nov 26, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #71 of 160
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Anyways here's a RME 96/8 PAD for only $275.

Arrrgh, that's tempting. I could probably get at least $100 for my Audiophile 24/96 on eBay too, to help pay for it (so make that $175!)... will just have to wait awhile tho, my bank account is too trashed at the moment...
frown.gif

Iron_Dreamer... if you get one, could you post a review (or drop me a PM) with some sonic impressions? Would be extremely curious...

Nov 26, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #73 of 160
One thing I've noticed about the RME Digi PAD is that it doesnt seem to have analogue outputs without the use of an expansion board, only appears to have analogue inputs????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back