Do Beats Studio headphones improve after burn-in or should I just burn them?
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BlueRain

New Head-Fier
Back in November 2010 I purchased a pair of Studios at the airport so I could listen to my iphone on the plane.  Didn't really listen to them too much after that and gave them to my stepdaughter (no, I wasn't trying to be mean to her...really).  Well, she didn't use them very much but actually kept them in surprisingly good condition, especially considering she was 10 at the time.  

She just "gifted" them back to me and I'm wondering if I let them burn in will they begin to sound less muddy?  Will the mid-range clean up?  Will burning them in help improve the sound at all or should I just give them away?

Yes, I know many believe they are an embarrassment to headphones and I shouldn't even admit to having purchased them but it is what it is.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 17
Burn in typically only changes the treble response making some headphones less sibilant.  If the mids are muddy that is probably a consequence of the sound signature of the headphone.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 17
Skrillex ft. Damian "Jr. Gong" - Make it burn dem

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

And I bet that they'd sound good at least with this song.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 17
Yeah...if you don't like the sound signature (and some people actually do) then you should just drop them. That being said, it doesn't cost you anything to try, so you may as well try some pink noise. And maybe EQ the bass down a bit.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 17
You guys/gals are a tough crowd. Are you absolutely irrevocably sure that Dr. Dre is not an MD...or even a PhD? I may burn them in and hope. Some Jazz-hop may sound entertaining over-bass'd.

I just auditioned a set of W1000X and realized they didn't sound $500 different/better than my Cardas'd HD650s. Different bass but I'm not sure if it was more bass. However, it was a lot clearer and more articulate than the Studios. Perhaps I should look for a new-condition set of D7000 and just forget the Studios.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 17
You may want to listen to the Studios with one of the Doctor's greatest albums ever, "Chronic 2001"... Then burn them or throw them away depending on how the bass response is!!!

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 17
Burn in won't do miracles.
Burning it anyway would just ruin it.(but really not much left to ruin anyway)
Selling however..... you could get some extra pocket money
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 17
I would feel guilty selling them to some unsuspecting high-schooler (who else would buy them now that the world has confirmed that they're bad on so many levels?) ...that thinks they may want them.  I will try burning them in and if they just are not enjoyable on any level I'll give them away.  I do occassionally have a bass-head but the rest of the range matters too.

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 17
I'm listening to them now.  They don't sound that bad, they just don't sound good.  The AT W1000X sounded sooo much better though.  All my other sets have a preferable sound to me...even the bass-anemic Q701s.  These Studios will never be my goto cans.  I'll give them away to one of my daughters friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back