do amps have built in sound cards?
Oct 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Probably a stupid question. but if i buy an amp, do i need to buy an external usb sound card to attach to it if my on-board audio is terrible?

Amplifiers (in general) do not come with built in sound cards.
Please provide the details of you current setup, maybe someone on Head-Fi can figure out how to improve your audio quality.
Sometimes you can use your current built-in audio features with an external DAC/amp.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 6
i'm in the process of building a mITX build (it will definitely be mITX, its non-negotiable) so this mean i cant have a dedicated sound card

my mobo will either be an asus p8z77-i deluxe or a p8h77-i
either way, the onboard audio is supposed to be subpar

i'm looking into purchasing a dac/amp/external usb sound card all for less than $100, and purely for my desktop. so it wont be moved at all.

i will probably be getting the beyer 770 pro 80 ohms, purely for home/desktop use too.

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 6
As the motherboards come with DTS audio, it might be better to hook up an external DAC/Amp to the S/PDIF Toslink optical output on the motherboard.
Use the motherboard's built in audio functions (DTS), but use a better DAC & amp for the headphones.

SMSL SD-793II  $60
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280962959972?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 6
does the p8h77-i also come with dts audio? that will the mobo i will most likely buy, since it is $100 cheaper
i couldn't find the internal sound card specs for the p8h77 mobo (the cheaper one, costs $99)

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
does the p8h77-i also come with dts audio? that will the mobo i will most likely buy, since it is $100 cheaper
i couldn't find the internal sound card specs for the p8h77 mobo (the cheaper one, costs $99)

Only the deluxe model comes with the DTS connect.
The regular model does not list DTS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back