Do all Hendrix CDs sound terrible?
Sep 3, 2003 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
I bought Experience Hendrix earlier this summer, but it sounds pretty crappy. It sounds like a vynil record on a $50 player. Crackle, hiss, it's pretty bad overall. Are there any good recordings out there?

Or are all the masters just bad?

Sep 4, 2003 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 13
The "Blues" album sounds pretty good for the most part. There's a bit of tape hiss on some of the tracks but I don't feel it detracts from the music in anyway. On his live albums the sound isn't the best, but they're live recordings so I'm not expecting miracles with 60's technology, and in any case the music comes through loud and clear.

Sep 4, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 13
i own two of the "authorized by hendrix estate" editions and i'm really unhappy with the quality. pathetically bad digital mastering was used. so much for getting his original engineer to do it.

DanG has been known to say good things about a "voodoo chile" greatest hits compilation, but i'd really rather own the albums. wish there was a decent master out somewhere.
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 13
Band of Gypsys sounds pretty good even though it's live.

1. Who Knows? (Hendrix) - 9:32
2. Machine Gun (Hendrix) - 12:33
3. Changes (Hendrix) - 5:10
4. Power to Love (Hendrix) - 6:53
5. Message to Love (Hendrix) - 5:22
6. We Gotta Live Together (Miles) - 5:46

This is easily one of the greatest live albums ever.

Sep 4, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Yeah, most of the albums did too! I think one of the greatest tragedies about Jimi is the fact that he was never really well recorded!
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 13
I have the Voodoo Chile set from 2000, I'd say it's merely "good", where the 97 re-masters sucked completely. Really, I don't know what these recordings are *supposed* to sound like, I've never heard any original vinyl versions or anything, so I can't say if Voodoo Chile is about as good as it can get. I do note the Voodoo Chile was mastered by George marino, who did all the excellent (IMO) 2003 AC/DC re-masters.

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 13
I am old enough that I did hear the original vinyl for most of his albums. Sadly, they were not pretty, especially the stuff the scavengers released after his death.

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 13
BTW: VoodooChild is worth owning just for disc 2 which has some really amazing live performances. i don't normally care for live stuff, but the selections and performances from throughout his career are great, recording quality surprisingly good mostly.

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 13
Nothing that I have ever heard sounded as good as the live show. But to this day when I play his songs I am taken back in time.

Sep 5, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

i own two of the "authorized by hendrix estate" editions and i'm really unhappy with the quality. pathetically bad digital mastering was used. so much for getting his original engineer to do it.

yeah, I bought this on expensive vinyl -- sucked.
And I don't know why, for some reason I never clicked with Hendrix.

Sep 5, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 13
I purchased a two CD set here in Canada called "The Essential Jimi Hendrix". I don't know who was responsible for this release, but after hearing some of the other recordings, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It is definitely not perfect, but not in the 'bloody awful' category either. It could easily be ten years or more since I bought it, so I don't know if it is even still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back