DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Oct 8, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #3,841 of 4,470
I sold by Stratus two years ago but was wondering whether any Stratus owners have tried out Psvane's new Acme series 2A3s. I find their Acme 805s very exceptional, and their Acme 300B has been favorably compared to heavy hitters like the holy grail WE 300Bs. Considering their relative affordability, the Acme 2A3s will be worth a try in the Stratus.

Oct 11, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #3,842 of 4,470
Well, it's been an age since I've been on the forum. With various moves, I've been out of circulation for a while! When I got back from the USA, my stratus was only playing on one channel. I narrowed it down to one of the tube sockets for one of the 2a3's. My stratus was one of the older ones with the previous sockets. Donald was kind enough to send me a couple of the newer style sockets and I had a go at replacing them myself. I havent done a whole lot of soldering, but I got there in the end, and now have two channels! It wasn't pretty but sounds great now. I've done a lot of tube rolling over the past 3-4 years and I think the sockets get a bit loose over time.

Hopefully things should be good for another few years. Was reminded of how nicely wired this amp is!

Good to see you back Stuart1927. Was wondering what happened to you. Revealing photo's! How difficult do you think it would be to replace the input driver socket? Was considering doing it myself but a little hesitant.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #3,843 of 4,470
Good to see you back Stuart1927. Was wondering what happened to you. Revealing photo's! How difficult do you think it would be to replace the input driver socket? Was considering doing it myself but a little hesitant.
I'd be quite happy to do the input tube socket. Access is about the same although the socket is obviously smaller so perhaps a bit more fiddly. As long as you set it up well with good light and take your time it should be fine. I got one of those workstation units with a magnifying glass and light. If like me the old eyesight is a bit suspect....this helps a lot! My soldering isn't great, but I got there eventually!

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #3,844 of 4,470
I recently purchased a used Stratus and sent it to get the upgrade. What an amazing amp. As I said to
Donald:

With my previous amp, I felt like I was sitting in the first or second row of a concert. With the Stratus,
it sounds like I'm in the orchestra. The detail is more pronounced. Like hearing the bassoon being keyed, the
movement of hands on the neck of the cellos, breath inhales on the flute, all make listening a much more lifelike
experience. And all this on stock tubes.

I'm psyched.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #3,845 of 4,470
I recently purchased a used Stratus and sent it to the upgrade. What an amazing amp. As I said to
Donald:

With my previous amp, I felt like I was sitting in the first or second row of a concert. With the Stratus,
it sounds like I'm in the orchestra. The detail is more pronounced. Like hearing the bassoon being keyed, the
movement of hands on the neck of the cellos, breath inhales on the flute, all make listening a much more lifelike
experience. And all this on stock tubes.

I'm psyched.
It is an awesome amp, and Donald's an awesome guy to deal with. Always helpful and never too busy for you. I've had my Stratus for maybe five years now, and every time I listen to it, it's a thrill. One thing that I think doesn't get enough notice is how dead silent it is. A lot of amps hum or make other noises (the Woo WA22 was frankly awful in that regard), but this one doesn't. And the sound is incredibly lifelike,

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #3,846 of 4,470
It is an awesome amp, and Donald's an awesome guy to deal with. Always helpful and never too busy for you. I've had my Stratus for maybe five years now, and every time I listen to it, it's a thrill. One thing that I think doesn't get enough notice is how dead silent it is. A lot of amps hum or make other noises (the Woo WA22 was frankly awful in that regard), but this one doesn't. And the sound is incredibly lifelike,
Oh, no. You must get bad luck.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #3,847 of 4,470
I noticed a little hum the other night and it turned out to be the rectifier. It never reached the headphones though. I have been experiencing the need to turn my volume a bit before the sound begin's to come up. Doesn't hurt but it didn't used to. I need to fix it and replace my input driver socket.

By the way, thank you for the encouragement to change the socket Stuart. I know I can do it but I just can't stop listening! This year has been steady cable upgrades and it's never sounded better.

Oct 14, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #3,848 of 4,470
I noticed a little hum the other night and it turned out to be the rectifier. It never reached the headphones though. I have been experiencing the need to turn my volume a bit before the sound begin's to come up. Doesn't hurt but it didn't used to. I need to fix it and replace my input driver socket.

By the way, thank you for the encouragement to change the socket Stuart. I know I can do it but I just can't stop listening! This year has been steady cable upgrades and it's never sounded better.
I meant to ask you....what tubes are you running these days?

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #3,850 of 4,470
So, there has not been much traffic in this forum in a while. Are all you newish owners still enjoying your stock tubes. Have you been reading all the posts in this and the Stellaris thread? Anyone beginning to roll in some different tubes? You must have learned that the 6N1P input tube is the first one you should roll because it makes the biggest difference. All tubes do not sound the same. There is a big difference between the $10 to $15 6N1P you buy on Ebay and the one that RT selects by testing 300 tubes to get 6 to 8 of them that meets the specs required and is then cyroed and pin treated.
There is a big difference between a $40 Sylvania 5U4G rectifier and a EML big boy 5U4G for $300. Same goes for the $90 Chinese 2A3s and the very rare NOS single plate RCA 2A3s for $1600 on Ebay yesterday. That is why $600 Acme Supremes are a bargain.
For the most part, in tubes, you usually get what you pay for.

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #3,852 of 4,470
OK Stratus users, Which 2A3 tube set would you give yourself for Christmas? Psvane WE/RCA replicas or EML mesh? Why??

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,853 of 4,470
I'd be inclined to go for the ACME's....just because so much has been said about them....and I rate the Psvane tubes generally.

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #3,854 of 4,470
I'd be inclined to go for the ACME's....just because so much has been said about them....and I rate the Psvane tubes generally.

My current fav is the Acmes with the EML rectifier. What about the other two.

Nov 21, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #3,855 of 4,470
All of you Stratus owners ought to have one WWII RCA smooth double plates 5U4G in your tube inventory. Its a very good rectifier and you can buy good ones for less than $100 shipped. There are black plates and gray plates. I think the black plates might bi a bit better than the gray. Make sure the tube is a war time dated tube., a VT-244. I bought this one for $88 shipped on Ebay last week.
ABA51C40-F2F2-4215-80E3-FF04DBC2CC5F_1_201_a.jpeg
789F322F-2E15-4ABE-B62B-E21A4339BAFA.jpeg
ABA51C40-F2F2-4215-80E3-FF04DBC2CC5F_1_201_a.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back