DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,261 of 4,456
Congratulations to you both, Audioclyde and cradon. Happy Listening!

and magicabbage, I remember seeing some very nice Stratus photos in this thread. Too bad it's so hard to drill through to find them. Try a google search on this thread for drheadphone's posts. There are some on the earliest pages, too.

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,262 of 4,456
Reading this thread with much interest. I recently bought Donald's Sonett 2, which he said was based in many ways on the Stratus. I'm really enjoying it. I've also been really impressed by the Stratus when I've heard it at meets. Has anyone had a listen to both and been able to compare them? 

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,263 of 4,456
  Reading this thread with much interest. I recently bought Donald's Sonett 2, which he said was based in many ways on the Stratus. I'm really enjoying it. I've also been really impressed by the Stratus when I've heard it at meets. Has anyone had a listen to both and been able to compare them? 

Yes, I've heard both. The Sonett 2 sounds great, but the Stratus is a step or two up across the board. More resolution, bigger sound stage, and more tubey awesomeness.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,264 of 4,456

Yes, I've heard both. The Sonett 2 sounds great, but the Stratus is a step or two up across the board. More resolution, bigger sound stage, and more tubey awesomeness.

+1. I demoed both the Sonnett 2 and Stratus at the same time and while the Sonnett 2 is a good amp in its own right, the Stratus is on a different level.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,265 of 4,456

+1. I demoed both the Sonnett 2 and Stratus at the same time and while the Sonnett 2 is a good amp in its own right, the Stratus is on a different level.

Thanks for your impressions. So what more do you get with the Stratus? Technical sonic improvements? Or is it also jucier? If there's one area where I feel the Sonett 2 could use a little boost, it's that. It's a very clear, detailed, neutral amp, but maybe a touch dry; I'd like things to be a little bigger, richer, wetter, jucier.

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,266 of 4,456
Thanks for your impressions. So what more do you get with the Stratus? Technical sonic improvements? Or is it also jucier? If there's one area where I feel the Sonett 2 could use a little boost, it's that. It's a very clear, detailed, neutral amp, but maybe a touch dry; I'd like things to be a little bigger, richer, wetter, jucier.

Then go Stratus. It's all that you want and probable more.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,268 of 4,456
  Okay, so what's the juciest 2A3 (and driver tube)? I know there's much discussion about it in this thread, but I'm interested in this one quality alone.

I've only tried the Sophia Princess and EML Mesh 2A3's, currently my favorite is the stock 2A3's. I also find the sound and enjoyability of the Stratus changes a lot with all the DAC's I've tried. The Lampizator gen 4 level 4 and the Audio-Gd Master 7 work well with it for me.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,269 of 4,456
Received my new Stratus this afternoon, got it home hooked up and listening for the past 3 hours. I got the Sophia Princess 2A3's and have a great Cossur rectifier.

In a word the Stratus just sounds incredible! First I listened with my HE-500's, which I think are a blast to listen to. After the Stratus warmed up, I plugged in my W3000ANV's.....and haven't been able to wipe the silly grin off my face since!

Thanks Donald!

Randy

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,270 of 4,456
I sent my Stratus back to DNA for the transformer change and upgrade thanks to fejnomit's review. Hope it's worth it!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  Okay, so what's the juciest 2A3 (and driver tube)? I know there's much discussion about it in this thread, but I'm interested in this one quality alone.

I put up for sale a pair of 2A3's that have received great praise here. Not as juicy as the Princesses though.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,272 of 4,456
I gave the Stratus a serious workout yesterday, with fairly extended listening sessions between football games
smily_headphones1.gif
.    For reference, my speaker setup consists of efficient (rated 96db with benign roughly 6 ohm impedance curve) Daedalus DA-RMa speakers, driven by a custom Wavelength Audio 45 SET amp, with an Aesthetix Calypso preamp.  Source (both for spkr rig and headphone setup) is currently a Meitner MA-1 DAC.

Despite my love of the sound of tubes and affection for tube equipment, noise or background hum/hiss has always been one thing I can't stand to hear.  That being said, I'm a 'lazy' audiophool and must have remote volume control, and my setup is such that my listening chair is 10-12 feet from my equipment.  Even with my high efficient speakers, there is absolutely no discernible noise (when no track is playing) in my setup.  I've never been fond of using the volume control in my software music players (battery powered Mac Mini with ss HD, music files on external FW drives, using either JRiver MC 19 or Audirvana to play music).

Donald and I discussed my potentially feeding the Stratus from my preamp output (to maintain remote volume capability), and he suspected that I might run into a 'too much gain' issue (and in my mind, I feared two things--loss of fidelity due to having 2 volume controls in the signal chain and the potential for a bit of noise).

Using the Stratus this way, with my less efficient HE-500's, I have almost no noise and the sound is sublime; with my much more efficient W3000ANV's, I can't avoid a bit of noise--remember this is using the Stratus in a way it's not designed for, i.e. feeding it a signal from the pre's gain stage.  Even taking the bit of noise (and it's very slight), the Stratus just sounds sublime with either headphone!!

Late yesterday I connected another set of interconnects directly from my DAC to the Stratus' second set of inputs......wow!  Absolutely quiet, no noise whatsoever, even feeding the much more efficient/sensitive W3000ANV's
gs1000.gif
!  And as I suspected, I think the sound quality/fidelity improved a bit (even though I have much respect for the Calyso pre, as I have had numerous well thought of preamps, both ss and tubed, in my system--the only one I've owned that I liked better, sound quality wise, than the Calypso was a Shindo Monbrison, which loved the sound of, but I went to a source with no volume control, thus had to give it up due to no remote volume capability).  So, I have a Placette RVC on the way to see if I can have the best of all worlds for me--have it's remote volume capability with the Stratus.

At all times previously, I would guesstimate that unless other circumstances necessitated using headphones, my listening was 70-75% speaker listening, and 25-30% headphone.  With the Stratus, I predict that headphone listening will become a much greater part of my listening habit, as so far listening on my phones through the Stratus almost seems addictive!!!

I think this post has run on long enough without really describing the Stratus' sound; first, I'm not great at describing what I hear, and I'm still a 'noobie' as far as experience with the Stratus; so I'll only offer a short attempt at describing what I'm hearing--the sound is almost seductive, with a magical midrange (where the music lives for me) and silky smooth top end (another personal must, as I can't stand a sound that is even borderline bright or too aggressive).  Maybe a better way of describing what I'm hearing is that it just sounds very real and natural to my ears--I don't think the Stratus necessarily lends that bit of sweet burnished hue to the music that I remember the Shindo possibly adding, yet the Stratus is plenty sweet and juicy (as an above poster stated he was looking for), and I'm already pretty convinced that the Stratus's sound is all I could ever lust for!!

To those of you in line; the wait is well worth it!!!

Randy

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #1,273 of 4,456
Wow Audioclyde (Randy) !
comparing the Stratus to a Shindo Monbrison in sound quality is quite a compliment... And, IMHO, entirely deserved.

Totally quiet, natural and realistic, intoxicating --- I'd say you did a great job describing the Stratus !!  Thank you !

As for signal gain, I have found the Rothwell attenuators to be very high quality. They are available standard in -10 or -20dB, both RCA and XLR. They stock in small batches, so they are not always readily available, but they are well worth a short wait.
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

Happy Listening, Randy !!!

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,274 of 4,456
Thanks Budx; I'm thoroughly enjoying the Stratus!

Quick update-this evening for the 1st time I rolled a pair of NOS Ken Rad black glass 2A3's in for the Sophia Princess tubes. I'm not ready to declare a preference yet, but certainly the Stratus lets me easily hear the difference--and so far I'm really digging the Ken Rads. I thought the Princess had a great 'creamy' mid, but these KR's may have it over them. The KR's are a bit more laid back, with less 'shimmer' (for lack of a better term) on brass, etc., but female vocals with the KR's are so sweet and right up my alley!

I can't even imagine what a pair of single plate NOS 2A3's would sound like, as everything I read indicates they are sublime; maybe my pocketbook doesn't want me to find out!

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,275 of 4,456
I've spent considerable holiday time listening to my headphone setup with the Stratus installed.  Of course there may be some of the 'new toy' effect working here, but I'm now enjoying listening to my headphones just as much or more than my speaker setup; in the past, I much preferred my speaker setup.

I also got the Placette remove volume control installed.  Going direct from the DAC to the Placette then to the Stratus cured the slight noise issue I had when trying to use my preamp's remote volume control; however, I felt like the sound lost some weight or body.  My Calyspo pre allows you to set any input to 'unity gain' or bypass mode; so I did this and now have the DAC feeding the 'bypass mode' input on the pre, then from the preamp's outputs to the Placette, with the Placette feeding the Stratus.  Maybe I just like lots of tubes, but I like the sound much better this way, and I have absolutely no noise (and this is with the Stratus' volume control turned all the way up, so that it is basically out of the signal path), and still have remote control of volume.  Happy camper here
L3000.gif
!!

The Stratus is a real gem, IMHO!!

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back