DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Oct 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,201 of 4,456
  cradon, the 2A3C-T's are rather similar to the Sophia Princess in tonality. The EMLs, solid and mesh, have more firm bass.

You might check with drheadphone for a NOS recommendation that might be less expensive.

Hey bud, do you prefer the 2A3C-T over the Sophia Princess with the HD800 specifically? Or are the EML's still king in your book? 

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #1,203 of 4,456
  I finally  ordered a pair of HD800 from Moon-Audio...

deadhorse.gif

L3000.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,204 of 4,456
All this talk of HD800's makes me slightly regret selling them. That said, even with the Stratus rocking, they just weren't the sound for me. I really should try them again, but I could never get over the lean bottom and tipped up top end. Great phones in many ways, but not balanced for my ears.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,205 of 4,456
  All this talk of HD800's makes me slightly regret selling them. That said, even with the Stratus rocking, they just weren't the sound for me. I really should try them again, but I could never get over the lean bottom and tipped up top end. Great phones in many ways, but not balanced for my ears.

Hi, John. I suggest trying again. The first two I purchased (and later sold) had tone imbalance, one bright, one dark. That was back when they first appeared. The third one is the one I kept.

Yes, greed, with this new driver (see post #1196), I like the Natural Sound pair.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #1,206 of 4,456
  Hi, John. I suggest trying again. The first two I purchased (and later sold) had tone imbalance, one bright, one dark. That was back when they first appeared. The third one is the one I kept.

Is there a serial number I should target? If I can find a good pair, I might just be swayed into trying them again. For now, I'm really enjoying my T1's. Since the weather is cooling off, I need to pull out my LCD-3 & 2's, and give them a shot again.

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,207 of 4,456

You see i don't get that, I was under the impression that the HD800 were lean with little low end from all the comments by people on different threads. Then i got to try them out on my own rig with my WA2. To me they sounded big and warm with plenty of bass. I was really surprised by this because it went against everything that i read. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #1,208 of 4,456

If you can manage to get one, do try a pair with the 'Anax-Mod'. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #1,209 of 4,456
Love my HD800's with my current set-up. The gear gets out of the way and I'm listening to a live event. Gotta say, finding associated gear for it is a huge challenge. I bought and tried many amps and DAC's before I felt happy with them, but all along I knew they were the headphones I wanted to build around because IMHO they came the closest to a great speaker system sound.

Its all about synergy with them or they may sound thin, harsh and washed out in the mids. My three favorite amps for them are the Manley Neo-Classic 300B, DNA Stratus and the Eddie Current Zana Deux. DAC wise, I haven't heard them all but my favorite is the Lampizator level 4.

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #1,210 of 4,456
I have a new "mod" for you all to try.  It's an Audio Note AN  CD-4.1x!

Before I moved back to my "winter place", I was only using a computer audio rig and I was very happy with the sound.  Yesterday, I connected the Stratus to my Audio Note CD player for the first time.

The Stratus never sounded better to my ears.  And mind you, I'm using AKG 701 headphones.  Many people claim that NOS Dacs are not as detailed as "modern" SS Dacs.  Mine is.  Everything is better: balance, soundstage, imaging, balance and "the little something else" NOS Dacs bring to the table.  Can you hear jitter?  Audio Note doesn't deal with jitter...at al.  I hear no jitter.  Sharpness?  No. Lack of dynamics? No.  It's just as fast, or faster. Ringing? None.  And so on.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,211 of 4,456
I have a new "mod" for you all to try.  It's an Audio Note AN  CD-4.1x!

Before I moved back to my "winter place", I was only using a computer audio rig and I was very happy with the sound.  Yesterday, I connected the Stratus to my Audio Note CD player for the first time.

The Stratus never sounded better to my ears.  And mind you, I'm using AKG 701 headphones.  Many people claim that NOS Dacs are not as detailed as "modern" SS Dacs.  Mine is.  Everything is better: balance, soundstage, imaging, balance and "the little something else" NOS Dacs bring to the table.  Can you hear jitter?  Audio Note doesn't deal with jitter...at al.  I hear no jitter.  Sharpness?  No. Lack of dynamics? No.  It's just as fast, or faster. Ringing? None.  And so on.
Then their's that all important cost. I have a lot of respect for the AN product and wanted to build a nice DAC. But in the end, I went with an all in one box that gives me more capability. If I had $5k to drop on a whim though, I'd still be interested in an AN build.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,213 of 4,456
Then their's that all important cost. I have a lot of respect for the AN product and wanted to build a nice DAC. But in the end, I went with an all in one box that gives me more capability. If I had $5k to drop on a whim though, I'd still be interested in an AN build.

The 4.1x is a CD player - one box, but I think it costs $12K in the US.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,215 of 4,456
Donald has advised me that my amp chassis is being powder coated this week; now I'm really getting eager!!!

Soon I guess I'll be an official member of the DNA Stratus club!!!

Randy

Congrats! How long are the lead times now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back