DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #4,381 of 4,456
@LarsMan That’s because they only made about a dozen or so, quite unobtainable as most owners know how rare they are have only seen one for sale and it was between friends. If one needs to mod that amp, to find their desired sound, might as well build something from scratch of they have the know how.

@smodtactical , I came across a post where you mentioned some negatives about Radu amps. Care to elaborate?

The problem building from scratch is then you gotta get a chassis maker and then custom design the chassis. But point well taken that its basically not obtainable so making something from scratch is the only way. L0rdgwyns work with air universe reminds me of EC mk iv amp. Too bad he won't release the plans for it though :frowning2:

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #4,382 of 4,456
Heard the one with Linlei E-2A3 in parallel with silver interstage transformer and silver output transformers. That amp slams like a truck with any headphone I put on it, including DCA Expanse. I'll also add the speed and the treble extension are also incredibly impressive for a tube amp

How was it in terms of tone and mid range fullness / richness ? Do you know what transformers were on it ?

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #4,383 of 4,456
L0rdgwyns work with air universe reminds me of EC mk iv amp. Too bad he won't release the plans for it though :frowning2:
Did he make it as a one off? If so, then the IP is his and he was already generous enough to share and wrote a thorough build guide. You should talk to an amp builder, to commission what characteristics you are looking for, the good ones will ensure your goals are met.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #4,384 of 4,456
Did he make it as a one off? If so, then the IP is his and he was already generous enough to share and wrote a thorough build guide. You should talk to an amp builder, to commission what characteristics you are looking for, the good ones will ensure your goals are met.

He didn't make a build guide. He just shared some internal photos.

Going to an amp builder with something as ambitious as something like a MK IV would be either insanely expensive or maybe just impossible since custom builders won't want to do that kind of work.

All I am saying is it would be cool if someone released diy plans for a 2a3 interstage tube head amp.

I do have some schematics for a 2a3 amp and maybe one day I'll do something with them.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #4,386 of 4,456
Going to an amp builder with something as ambitious as something like a MK IV would be either insanely expensive or maybe just impossible since custom builders won't want to do that kind of work.
Have you spoken to custom amp builders? I regularly see interstage transformer builds coming from builders.

Also do you know why you want interstage transformers. Have you heard such amps or are you just going by people's opinions.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #4,387 of 4,456
Sorry, I was referring to the amp he did share for others to build, the Ageis or whatever it’s called.
Aegis is nice but it's a far cry from an interstage amp like air universe he made.

Apr 22, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #4,388 of 4,456
Have you spoken to custom amp builders? I regularly see interstage transformer builds coming from builders.

Also do you know why you want interstage transformers. Have you heard such amps or are you just going by people's opinions.

No I have not heard one nor do I have an opportunity to hear one. I do have trusted friends that have them and enjoy them.

What custom amp builder makes a interstage headphone amp? If you can name even 2 ill be shocked.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #4,389 of 4,456
No I have not heard one nor do I have an opportunity to hear one. I do have trusted friends that have them and enjoy them.

What custom amp builder makes a interstage headphone amp? If you can name even 2 ill be shocked.

Oliver Sayes and Radu do. I know they primarily serve the 2ch market but I have seen folks getting headphones amps made from them with ISTs.

Thomas Mayer too but his amps are quite pricey.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #4,390 of 4,456
He didn't make a build guide. He just shared some internal photos.

All I am saying is it would be cool if someone released diy plans for a 2a3 interstage tube head amp.

I do have some schematics for a 2a3 amp and maybe one day I'll do something with them.

Why don't you contact him and see if he'll accept a commission?

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #4,391 of 4,456
How was it in terms of tone and mid range fullness / richness ? Do you know what transformers were on it ?

On the drier side but without the digital/etch. Still retains the EC house sound, but more tactile and punchier. I'm not sure which transformers other than the owner telling me that they're silver wounded on both interstage and output and it's not the standard Cinemag output transformers

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #4,393 of 4,456
R
Aegis is nice but it's a far cry from an interstage amp like air universe he made.
Have you heard the Air Universe?

The Woo WA23 Lina is interstage transformer coupled, it’s likely within your price range. My Radu 300B uses interstage transformers, there are options out there. I wouldn’t be fixated on @L0rdGwyn choosing to keep his amp development private, he’s put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into his projects, and from what I’ve heard the model he was generous enough to share with the world is quite good. No reason to throw shade, no one has a right to someone else’s work.

One solution is to go to your local library and teach yourself how to build the amp you desire, might take a while depending on your current background and knowledge with electronics, and obviously there will be trial and error as there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone is paying for it somewhere….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back