DNA Stellaris
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #617 of 695
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #619 of 695
The base unit is around 7200. Unclear why his price is so high.
I guess that's where OBO comes into play. Can't say how this person set their price but PayPal tax is a couple hundred and shipping insured is also a couple hundred.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #620 of 695
Yes, over on SBAF.

I'm reading some of the scattered impressions over there and it seems that the DNA house sound is traditional SET but with excellent execution so I take that it means in the broadest terms it has a wetter, lusher and more laid back sound compared to the EC sound?

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #621 of 695
I'm reading some of the scattered impressions over there and it seems that the DNA house sound is traditional SET but with excellent execution so I take that it means in the broadest terms it has a wetter, lusher and more laid back sound compared to the EC sound?
Not quite wet or lush. Relaxed yes, when I think of wet lush I hear more of a Ampandsound amp. DNA, are not dry like EC but just as nimble with a dynamic driver headphone. Rectifier swap will have an impact, where you could get it wet and lush such as the EML mesh. However I find that bloats more and takes away the refinement.
There is also a difference between older EC amps, vs the newer releases such as the Studio B. From what I’ve gathered over there it’s due to change in components such as transformers.

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #622 of 695
I wonder if there are comparisons between EC house sound vs DNA?
DNA amps have a slightly rounded transient with a sustained decay. Contrary to what I assumed prior to hearing one myself, it has a neutral tone and not overly lush nor bloomy. In terms of staging it is intimate with excellent depth, layering and separation.

EC amps transient response is a bit more squared and shares similarities with a solid state amp. Some of the hardest hitting amps are from EC and the latest amp, the studio b, is one of the most dynamic and hard hitting amp I've heard. It is also the widest stage I've heard in a headphone amp by a distance.

In a nutshell, DNA is intimate and smooth where EC sound is powerful and grand sounding. Both exudes refinement and technicalities across their entire lineup.

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #625 of 695
DNA amps have a slightly rounded transient with a sustained decay. Contrary to what I assumed prior to hearing one myself, it has a neutral tone and not overly lush nor bloomy. In terms of staging it is intimate with excellent depth, layering and separation.

EC amps transient response is a bit more squared and shares similarities with a solid state amp. Some of the hardest hitting amps are from EC and the latest amp, the studio b, is one of the most dynamic and hard hitting amp I've heard. It is also the widest stage I've heard in a headphone amp by a distance.

In a nutshell, DNA is intimate and smooth where EC sound is powerful and grand sounding. Both exudes refinement and technicalities across their entire lineup.
You had me nodding until 'powerful and grand.' The later EC stuff seems to be better than the earlier but I'd still place the DNA one step above.

@kkrazik2008 know anyone that compared a stellaris silver with a woo wa33e? How much is the silver? Any reviews? Spec wise how does it compare to 33e?

The cost of just the transformers that go into the Silver is multiple thousands. You'd have to price one out with Donald but its going to be more than the WA33E I'm sure.

There are very few of the silvers out there, I don't think anyone who owns one posts here.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #626 of 695
The later EC stuff seems to be better than the earlier but I'd still place the DNA one step above.
I'm not sure if the later stuff are really better but my comparison against the DNA is purely on presentation. For reference I've heard the Stratus and a Studio w/Tribute interstage and currently own a Starlett and Studio B. In my experience with both brands the EC projects a grander stage with a stronger bass emphasis and DNA having a much more intimate presentation and notably smoother undertone. Would love to hear a Stellaris and hoping to directly compare it against the Studio and Balancing Act someday.

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #627 of 695
I'm not sure if the later stuff are really better but my comparison against the DNA is purely on presentation. For reference I've heard the Stratus and a Studio w/Tribute interstage and currently own a Starlett and Studio B. In my experience with both brands the EC projects a grander stage with a stronger bass emphasis and DNA having a much more intimate presentation and notably smoother undertone. Would love to hear a Stellaris and hoping to directly compare it against the Studio and Balancing Act someday.

Agree with all of that.

Ive owned a few ECs and heard several more. Very good but my personal preference has been the Stratus or Stellaris in every case.

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #628 of 695
You had me nodding until 'powerful and grand.' The later EC stuff seems to be better than the earlier but I'd still place the DNA one step above.

The cost of just the transformers that go into the Silver is multiple thousands. You'd have to price one out with Donald but its going to be more than the WA33E I'm sure.

There are very few of the silvers out there, I don't think anyone who owns one posts here.
The price of the silver is "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" :wink:

(the "Special" starts around US$17k and "Silver" seems to be an upgrade from there, so......)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back