DNA Sonett Review
Aug 16, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #151 of 661

Quote:
I'm using both the Grado HF-2s and GS1000s with the DNA Sonett on the 28 ohm setting and its capable of adding a very natural yet detailed tone. I've got it connected to a Lavry DA11 and it seems to bring the Lavry to life while not losing detail. I'm not very good at describing what I hear, but its definitely something to do with the decay of notes and the warmth of low-mid timbres. By comparison the Lavry sounds sterile, but it is useful for critical listening.

I have the same combination of DAC and amp and agree with you about the Lavry DA11 amp being a little sterile by comparison to the Sonett, but with awesome detail. The Lavry has a really good built-in amp and I had no intention of upgrading until I heard the Sonett. The Sonett has more dimensional sound and a superior tone to my ears. I've been in that happy place for more than a year now where I don't feel the need to upgrade anything ... except ... possibly ... to the HD800. I know I'm going to do it sooner or later, and the Sonett is meant to be a perfect match with the HD800. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #152 of 661

Quote:
Have the Sonett received a few weeks ago. Finally yesterday came to it soldering a XLR 4pin plug to the stock cable of my HD800.
To be honest: first impressions are often overwhelming and it is the first time I hear dynamic phones with a balanced amp.
But WoW: I am amazed how good it sounds, even on the most complex music. It feels like a heavenly match. Bravo to Donald for making an amp that brings out the best in all sorts of music, be it orchestral works, John Williams film music, Madonna - Hard Candy or a Mozart string quartet. Will wait a few weeks with tube and fuse rolling, am enjoying the Sonett already so much.

Don't wait, you need those tubes to bring out the best of HD800.

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #153 of 661
Aug 23, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #154 of 661
Hi.  I wrote up my Sonett experience last night, and I intended to post it here, but it didn't seem to fit rght so I posted it as a new thread in the Headphone Amps (full-size). Hope you all like it.

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #156 of 661
I suppose this one?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508503/a-dna-sonett-story-what-cryo-tubes-can-do

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #160 of 661
No need to be glum, John.  If it makes you feel any better, I haven't been able to enjoy it either, my balanced cable is stuck in Canadian customs, or something.  It's just sitting on my table, all plugged in.  I'll be sure to leave you some feedback as soon as I get to listen to it.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #161 of 661

Quote:
No need to be glum, John.  If it makes you feel any better, I haven't been able to enjoy it either, my balanced cable is stuck in Canadian customs, or something.  It's just sitting on my table, all plugged in.  I'll be sure to leave you some feedback as soon as I get to listen to it.

You will enjoy it, it has great synergy with HD800 and JH13.  I found no other amp can do both.  Did you at least power it on to see the tube glows?

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #162 of 661
Well I just paid the deposit for my Sonett today!! I'll probably have to sell one of my kidneys to fund the purchase lol
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #163 of 661

Quote:
You will enjoy it, it has great synergy with HD800 and JH13.  I found no other amp can do both.  Did you at least power it on to see the tube glows?

Um, no.
redface.gif
  To be honest, the thought never crossed my mind.

Okay!  They glow.  The cables should be coming soon, and if I like the Sonett, I'm going to have to get a brown base GZ34 or a double D GZ34.  If I can find one relatively cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back