DNA Sonett 2
Nov 13, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #94 of 157
I'm subscribing to this thread so I can educate myself on this amp for a hopeful 2015 purchase.   As I look through this thread, I'm not seeing many mentions of headphone variety being used with this amp.  I hope in the coming months people start chatting here about the different cans they are using, and the kind of experience they are having with them.

I know this is a go to for the HD800, but I hope I can enjoy this with other headphones too.  I can't afford to buy a Sonett 2 and a pair of HD800s at the same time....

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #96 of 157
What headphones do you want?

Its not that I want a headphone (well the HD800 eventually), I would just like to learn from others what they use and how they like the experience.  I have a Grado HF-2, HD650, MDR-Z7, and a Lawton modded TH600, and I'd like to know if they will play nice.

The chicken or egg, get an HD800 and not really be able to drive it nicely, and wait on an amp.  Or, get the Sonett 2 (or something else) and enjoy the gear I have now, maybe a little more.....

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #98 of 157
I heard briefly  the HD650 On my Sonett.. amazing! That experience made me want to buy a HD650 :wink: .

Dunno about Grado or TH600.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #99 of 157
Yesterday I listened to the HD800 out of the Woo WA22, and I was quite wowed, with stock tubes.  I was wondering if anyone has listened too both the Sonnet 2 and the WA22?

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #100 of 157
Another happy owner of a Sonett 2 (thanks to Mink70) I'm not even at home to test it on my home rig, but I can already tell this could easily be my endgame amp. Now I've got my eyes and ears set on a balanced HD800....
L3000.gif

Great amp, and pictures don't do it enough justice...it looks even better in person!
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #101 of 157
  I heard briefly  the HD650 On my Sonett.. amazing! That experience made me want to buy a HD650 :wink: .

Dunno about Grado or TH600.

Yes, it's indeed great. Even without my DAC (I'm currently visiting family) the Sonett 2 / HD 650 combo sounds natural and full bodied. Bass is tight, mids are sublime... and the biggest difference initially to my ears is a much deeper soundstage. Even more so that my Crack/Speedball.

I'll have better impressions when I get home and more time to spend with it. But I think I'm completely smitten with this combo.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #102 of 157
Some more insight after a meet here in France.

I tried some other amps with the HD800 (Mjolnir, Headamp GSX mkII, EC445 , Meier audio Classic and Jazz) . The sonett is one of the smoother  for the HD800 and definitely a very good match with the Senn for people who like it smoother on top . the Sonett is not so warm though . smooth/intimate are better words to qualify. The Sonett lacks the Bass slam of the best Solid state amps but I've never heard any tube amps who can beat the Best Solid State in this area.  ThE EC 445 provides an immediate sense of space although the Sonett has a more intimate presentation.

BTW the most stunning experience  was the TH900/Sonett 2 combo. Match made in heaven ! . I disliked a lot the TH900 with its bloated bass, its piercing treble and recessed mids. With the Sonnet , all ranges seem perfectly integrated. Warmth and Bass slam remain but seem to be perfectly articulated with the Mids and the treble doesn't exhibit anymore hint of harshness . Impressive change really.

For people who're after an amp for the TH900, The Sonett 2 is a solid option to consider.  For people who want to soften their HD800 and keep the HD800 strenght ( detail, fastness, micro dynamics and soundstage) , the Sonett is a very good option too.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #103 of 157
I have used the Sonnet 2 (with a Senn HD800) for about a year with the stock tubes. Can anyone suggest tubes which you have found to improve sound quality, and describe in what ways the sound improved? 

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #104 of 157
Electro Harmonix are a hair more clear than Sovtek and a touch towards warmer. Reflektor is even more clear, and without the warmth.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #105 of 157
Electro Harmonix are a hair more clear than Sovtek and a touch towards warmer.

Oh Really ? Worth a try then ?

I only changed the stock JJ GZ34 for a NOS Mullard and never looked back. the JJ sounded a bit dull to my ears but I should give the JJ a new try after serious burn in to be fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back