DIY USB cable
Jan 15, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #46 of 53
slightly OT but close enough: I finally saw some wireless usb (not sure which standard it was) in product on a computer store shelf. I've been waiting for wireless version of usb for, well, since it came out
wink.gif
there used to be 2 competing standard but I have not followed which, if any, won out. and the thing on the shelf was somewhat expensive ($100 or so; more than impulse-buy amount, lol).

but wireless usb could actually be a good thing for audio. if it really buffers deeply enough and has a robust radio/rf section it could be a really nice way to get audio from here to there with good fidelity and no wires.

anyone try wireless usb yet?

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #48 of 53
which wireless, exactly? do you mean wifi?

so many ways to slice and dice things once they're digital. my squeezebox is, *essentially*, an ethernet to spdif converter (lol). or IP to spdif, if you prefer.

you could have any kind of IP connection over wifi and then carry digital audio over that from point to point.

which wireless do you mean?

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #53 of 53

Quote:
I just have to wonder, what people think they are gaining by making their own usb digital cables?

My HRT Music Streamer II+ sounds better going through a D-Link 4-port powered USB hub ( http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=104 ), presumably because of the 2.5 amp power supply it provides for the analog output stage. The difference is significant, as others have also reported. For comparison, I can't hear a difference using Pure Music or Amarra. No placebo effect; I misread D-Link's power supply specs at first, and I was expecting to hear no difference until I found a decent power supply. So the difference I wasn't expecting really caught me by surprise.

So I found this thread, wondering if I could build a DIY cable for the sole purpose of injecting power, isolated from the Mac mini's power supply. Having the hub in the path really looks rather trailer park. I learned here what is suggested elsewhere, that making a cable like I imagine is more complicated than I expected, and the obvious wiring pattern won't work.

Hope that answers your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back