DIY: Emotiva mini-X a-100 Headphone Amp Mod Guide
Jun 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 115

Well the way I built it was more for just using it as a dedicated headphone amp. However I would imagine through some creative use of some sort of switching TRS jack you could accomplish what you are describing. Most people doing that from what I have read use an external switching box to go back and forth between the two outputs. Personally Id want it all self contained though.

So, can I get this: http://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Powered-Speaker-Selector-Control/dp/B0082CFIVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403828146&sr=8-1&keywords=speaker+switch+box 
to use the front TRS jack with headphones and also have speakers hooked up?

Emotiva binding posts > Switch inputs > Switch output > Speakers. Click button on switch to use speakers, switch off to use just the TRS jack. Right?

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #35 of 115
I just got brave and hooked my AKG Q701 directly to the speaker taps of my Mini-X. I cut the 3.5mm end off of the 9 meter cable that I never use and decided to hook it up. I used a multi-meter to figure out which color wire was ground, left, and right and quickly wired it up. It gets loud at the 8 o'clock position on the volume knob so there is barely any throw on the knob, but the knob has fine enough control to dial in the volume I desire so it works just fine. The other option at my disposal is to set a negative preamp level in the Equalizer APO program I use for system wide EQ. If I set a -6dB preamp level it gives me a bit better control of the volume which lets me bring it up to about 9 o'clock on the knob. It is dead silent with the music paused, so no unbearable hiss to speak of.

The sound is ridiculous. I haven't really used my Q701 in a long time, but I don't remember them sounding quite this good. Huge soundstage, great imaging, killer bass impact(for a Q701 anyway) and tons of detail. EQ'ing them with Equalizer APO is nice as well. I added just a touch of sub-bass, have a very narrow mild cut at 2k, another cut centered at 7k and then added a touch of sparkle centered at 14k. 

I did not expect this to work so well at all. Tomorrow the plan is to find some decent banana plugs for both the headphones and my speakers so I can hopefully swap between the two a bit quicker. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #36 of 115

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #37 of 115
Ha, so I created a thread on this DIY on the Emotiva forum and others mentioned it there as well and look what Emotiva just announced today: LINK the mini-X a-100 Gen 2. Look familiar?! lol Funny. Theyre still missing the headphone jack though! :wink:

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #38 of 115
A few posts back you can see how I wired my Q701 up to my Emotiva Mini-X speaker amp. At first I had just used the bare wire into the binding posts, then I got some Banana plugs and wired them up that way. My first attempt at making them look good and strong was a bit of a weak attempt. Well today I found some metal sleeves to press into the banana plugs since the Q701 wire is so tiny, and the Banana plugs accept up to a 12 gauge wire. I also got some heat shrink tubing. The sleeves with the smaller ID and the heat shrink tubing essentially allowed me to make some strong, and IMO some pretty decent looking strain reliefs. The heavy and all metal banana plugs coupled with the very small gauge wire of the Q701 cable seems a lot less fragile now. I left a little bit of the colored wire uncovered by the heat shrink tubing so I can tell which wires are which color so I know which is left, right, and ground when I hook it up. 

Let me know what you guys think, but I think it looks a hell of a lot better and stronger now:

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #40 of 115

Ha, so I created a thread on this DIY on the Emotiva forum and others mentioned it there as well and look what Emotiva just announced today: LINK the mini-X a-100 Gen 2. Look familiar?! lol Funny. Theyre still missing the headphone jack though!
wink.gif

what's the difference with the gen 1?

From the Emotiva site, I found the following few sentences on what the Gen 2 offers.  They should have upped the price by $15.00 and added a headphone jack - IMO.

The new Gen 2 version of the a-100 continues in this tradition of flexibility, reliability, and great sound – and adds a few minor circuit refinements and our new and more sophisticated Gen 2 styling.

I've followed the various threads on this lil' Emotiva amp for the past few years.  I'm late in arriving to this thread but think the original poster did a great job of documenting the process of revising the amp by anodizing the silver trim pieces and carefully installing a headphone jack.  Nicely done!

It may have been done by another before, but for more flexibility, adding a 4-pin male XLR socket built for a chassis onto the front panel.  You would then be able to utilize the amp with balanced headphone cables - with the convenience of the front panel access as opposed to using a set of speaker taps connected to the amps rear outputs.   Then, one could make a small dongle with a female XLR plug (4-pin) on one end, and a 1/4" female TRS jack on the other.  This would permit you to use a standard headphone cable with the 4-pin balanced output - all from the front panel. I'm not feeling too rich lately due to other hobbies, but I'd find it to be an interesting project.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #41 of 115
  I've followed the various threads on this lil' Emotiva amp for the past few years.  I'm late in arriving to this thread but think the original poster did a great job of documenting the process of revising the amp by anodizing the silver trim pieces and carefully installing a headphone jack.  Nicely done!

It may have been done by another before, but for more flexibility, adding a 4-pin male XLR socket built for a chassis onto the front panel.  You would then be able to utilize the amp with balanced headphone cables - with the convenience of the front panel access as opposed to using a set of speaker taps connected to the amps rear outputs.   Then, one could make a small dongle with a female XLR plug (4-pin) on one end, and a 1/4" female TRS jack on the other.  This would permit you to use a standard headphone cable with the 4-pin balanced output - all from the front panel. I'm not feeling too rich lately due to other hobbies, but I'd find it to be an interesting project.

Thank you and yes the front mount XLR and mini-XLR connection has been done. I didnt do it because I bought this amp to use with one specific set of headphones and nothing else and those will never be run balanced.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #42 of 115
@ben_r_  Great thread! I have a questions for you, since you've modded it. I'm building a mini stereo and thinking of using the emotiva mini-x a-100 amplifier. It seems to be a great choice for my purpose except for one aspect, the depth of the amp. Basically my planned stereo isn't deep enough to house the mini-x a-100. My planned solution is to put the amp "sideways" so to say, but then the volume knob becomes unaccessible (see attached pic). When I look at your pictures of the modding process, it seems to have the knob attached to a circuit board which is screwed to the faceplate and having wires connecting it to the main components. I was hoping to unscrew the volume circuit board from the faceplate and screw it on the new position without having to solder anything. Is that possible?

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #43 of 115
  @ben_r_  Great thread! I have a questions for you, since you've modded it. I'm building a mini stereo and thinking of using the emotiva mini-x a-100 amplifier. It seems to be a great choice for my purpose except for one aspect, the depth of the amp. Basically my planned stereo isn't deep enough to house the mini-x a-100. My planned solution is to put the amp "sideways" so to say, but then the volume knob becomes unaccessible (see attached pic). When I look at your pictures of the modding process, it seems to have the knob attached to a circuit board which is screwed to the faceplate and having wires connecting it to the main components. I was hoping to unscrew the volume circuit board from the faceplate and screw it on the new position without having to solder anything. Is that possible?

Sure its possible, will depend on your skill level with such things though. Youd basically have to extend the cables going to the volume control board I would think as removing the potentiometer might be more of a pain. You might even be able to find the connectors they used and make up extension cables that fit so you wouldnt have to resolder anything. These are the ones im talking about, the three white connectors on the PCB:

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #45 of 115
Hello Ben, very impressive DIY!
I am planning to buy a emotive mini-X a-100 for my room speakers, also wanna use it for headphone, can I still send it to you to upgrade the headphone jar? and how much will be the cost?
Thanks!
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back