DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 18, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #3,708 of 10,535
  Anyone have any tips for not burning the plastic on adapters like Pailiccs? Barely touching it with the soldering iron melts the plastic. Is this bad at all or is it okay if the plastic is a little warped?

yeah don't touch the plastic with the iron

i use a very fine tip and a light touch 
the thinnest solder you cat get i use the kester .03 i think
also maybe turn the temp down on the iron
presolder both ends and just a touch of the iron

"actors rehearse, musicians practice"
mike watt

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,709 of 10,535
Mar 18, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #3,710 of 10,535
  Anyone have any tips for not burning the plastic on adapters like Pailiccs? Barely touching it with the soldering iron melts the plastic. Is this bad at all or is it okay if the plastic is a little warped?

Tried everything I could, and the plastic keep getting burnt.

- Light touch of the solder tip
- Put a layer of solder on both the cable conductor and the jack's pole
- Put a USB fan blowing straight to the soldering point
- Even tried 'dripping' the soldering tin (solder tip didn't touch it directly at all), and it still got burnt by the liquid solder, and also a waste of good tin, btw.

Eventually I gave up, and just try not to burn it too much.....

Oh, and it doesn't make a difference if the plastic melted a bit, as long as 2 poles don't come into contact, of course

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3,712 of 10,535

Thx @Armaegis. I think I'll stick to the Mogami then. It's way cheaper.

Actually, Canare L-2E5 and Mogami W2697 cost approximately the same price per ft but I'd have to order 4 times length of Canare, so 4 times the initial cost :S

Why exactly are you using those particular models?
Canare L-4E5C & Mogami W2893 are great choices. They are quad cables so four feet of wire per foot of cable. They are the "mini" so slimmer overall cable and use 26 awg individual conductors. 
Their big brothers, the Canare L-4E6S and the Mogami W2534 are thicker overall and use individual conductors that are 24awg. 

I prefer the mini versions as they are cheaper and slightly smaller awg.  The Canare L-4E5C goes for $0.48/ft of cable. In other words, $0.12/ft of wire when the conductors are stripped out. 
Hard to beat that price anywhere, even taking into account shipping costs. Bulk orders help to negate that cost. A six foot cable using four wires, 24 feet, only has a cost of about $3.00 for the wire. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #3,713 of 10,535
I can't find any starquad locally. Jean is also in Canada, though he might have different distributors nearby.

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #3,715 of 10,535
Just let them hang freely and repeatedly cross them over each other, don't "twist" the wires around each other.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #3,716 of 10,535
  I can't find any starquad locally. Jean is also in Canada, though he might have different distributors nearby.

I do have access to all of Canare and Mogami product lines but I really want 2 core cables for what I'm looking to do, that's the only reason why I'm going for the Mogami W2697. By the way I bought it already, it comes in 164 ft bundle.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #3,717 of 10,535
Hey guys, so today I had a go at my first litz braid, I think it came out pretty well, it's only wire pulled from some 3 core mains cable. I bought a Neutrik 6.3mm plug I am going to practice soldering to and I'll get some HiFiman coax connectors to practice soldering with as well. 

I have a couple of questions - firstly, what is the AWG of the wires inside normal a UK 3 core mains cable?

Secondly, is this diagram correct for the soldering points?

Thanks in advance! 

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #3,720 of 10,535
Not sure if this has been asked, I looked through about a 100 pages and didnt see an answer. How much length do you use when doing a four wire braid? I would like to know how much wire I need to cut to get the desired length. Say I want a 6 foot length as the end result, using canare L-4E5C in a 4 wire braid, what would be the required length before braiding? Do I need to cut say 10 feet of wire? Will I loose a few feet of length at the end result?

- Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back