DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #3,305 of 10,535
Hi there. New to this DIY cable thing!

I will make a cable for my HD650 as I want a shorter one.

My plan is W2534 from mogami, techflex sleeving, cardas connectors and a neutrick plug (basic stuff). However, I have a few questions regarding the cable itself. 

1)  Do you need to solder the copper shield to ground or let it float there?
2) If I plan to sleeve anyway, should I just strip the 4 conductors off and get rid of the shield/insulation material all together?
3) If I do as I said in 2), can you just buy jacket-less cable in the first place?

Open to all recommendations!

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #3,306 of 10,535
  Open to all recommendations!

Thanks!

You can buy single conductors, but typically it's more expensive than Mogami quad. Redco, SonicCraft, Double Helix, Moon Audio, etc, all sells this kind of wire. If you're making a single ended cable, not having a shield can make your system more prone to interference. I have one and I have to move my cell phone away from the cable, or I can hear the data transmission.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #3,307 of 10,535
  You can buy single conductors, but typically it's more expensive than Mogami quad. Redco, SonicCraft, Double Helix, Blue Moon Audio, etc, all sells this kind of wire. If you're making a single ended cable, not having a shield can make your system more prone to interference. I have one and I have to move my cell phone away from the cable, or I can hear the data transmission.

Right, but how do you split the shield at the separation point to go to each side? I guess you can rewrap the shield arround each side?

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #3,309 of 10,535
When it comes to shielding on headphone cables, I feel the added flexibility of having a cable without a shield outweighs any problems I might have with interference using it. None of my cables have shields and I still don't have issues with phone signals, or anything else.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #3,311 of 10,535
When it comes to shielding on headphone cables, I feel the added flexibility of having a cable without a shield outweighs any problems I might have with interference using it. None of my cables have shields and I still don't have issues with phone signals, or anything else.

I'm often using your cable on my ZennJazzGrado in places with WiFi and lots of people using phones and bluetooth connections, and I've never had any interference.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #3,313 of 10,535
I am planning to build 2.5 mm Trrs to shure plug IEM cable for JVC 850 balanced cable. I found this awesome 2.5 mm trrs plug with lock in ebay. But very costly 35$, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ranko-Acoustics-REP-1050-4P-Rhodium-Plated-2-5mm-TRRS-Stereo-Plug-/321646170681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae39b1239

Please suggest 2.5 trrs plug with lock, for around 10$

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #3,314 of 10,535
I just got a pair of Luke Skybeyers in the mail that I want to restore. I just have to say, the cabling on these things is some of the worst stuff I've ever seen. The strain reliefs are terrible, thick pieces of rubber tubing (not heatshrink) and the cable is made up of 6 VERY rigid pieces of solid core wire. The worst. I just wanted to share that. These will be receiving a full makeover shortly. I might even order some Black Dragon cable to use on these, I want to see what's so great about it.

(Not my pair, these are just Darth Beyers, but show the cable better than most pictures on google) 

Jan 31, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #3,315 of 10,535
I am planning to build 2.5 mm Trrs to shure plug IEM cable for JVC 850 balanced cable. I found this awesome 2.5 mm trrs plug with lock in ebay. But very costly 35$, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ranko-Acoustics-REP-1050-4P-Rhodium-Plated-2-5mm-TRRS-Stereo-Plug-/321646170681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae39b1239

Please suggest 2.5 trrs plug with lock, for around 10$

Hmm.....thats way too much.....this is a gold plated but reasonably priced.....You need to purchase worth usd30 to get a tracking # tho, just......

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4258

Users who are viewing this thread

Back