DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
May 22, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #2,011 of 10,535

I just meant braiding that W2893 cable I have (original 4 strands in one mic cable) in an 8-strand braid. But if there is no sonic benefit, I'll just leave it at balanced 4-strand. The W2893 cables are super thin ....28AWG ?

Kamakahah- Thanks also.

26awg x 4. I made this cable out of 8 strands of w2893. It wasn't too bulky either. It sleeved just fine in 550 paracord. It was tight, but still do-able.

He later decided he didn't want the mic split so I reterminated it to a single 3.5mm Canare (F2? I can't remember) and put 4 wires to each driver, I re-sleeved that with 1/4 nylon multifilament. I loved that cable.

May 22, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #2,012 of 10,535
Sure thing.

This was just some preliminary proof of concept testing with ABS tubing I bought from McMaster so it limited my options in terms of dual exit holes and obviously it's just ABS so it's not super nice or fancy. The sky is the limit with a little bit of work. I was thinking about some of the nice things that could be made for cable split covers out of wood or different metals. Bronze came to mind.

Anyways, this is a friction fit over the 1/4" Techflex Nylon Multifilament on top of Canare L-4E6S, however any size could be used and the hole drilled appropriately. Adhesive wouldn't be a terrible idea to ensure it doesn't come off, however without serious twisting and pulling I can't get these off.

Wow very nice—thanks for sharing!

May 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,014 of 10,535
Sorry if already asked. Would this make sense, using 14 gauge to the y splitter then the  iem side 22 gauge? This is all going to be using speaker wire.

I would suggest against that, especially for a headphone. The larger AWG is going to have a capacitance that is high for a headphone. This will have negative consequences on the sound.

Even 22 awg is more than necessary for the majority of headphones, but is still useable. The larger cable also adds to weight and reduced flexibility.

I'd recommend choosing the cable size on the lower end of the spectrum that still meets your setups capacitance requirements.

May 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #2,015 of 10,535
Yes some Romex 14/2 would make the cable dual purpose as a headphone stand as well. 
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #2,017 of 10,535

I bought many of this.

What are you planning to make ?

UPDATE : Attached some pictures, I made with 0.20mm, 0.50mm, 0.30mm, 0.12mm etc.
Thing is, with the thicker wires (0.5mm +) you can easily braid for interconnect wires, very stiff, it's easier to do 6 or 8 strands interconnects.
For anything less than 4 it's very stiff like ALO cables.

May 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2,018 of 10,535
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=321142006782 is this worth the price

Assuming it is actually what it says, that is dirt cheap per foot of OCC SPC. It's also a ton of wires so if it's bad you got almost 300ft of crap.

Only real concern based on the little info given is the 7 strands. It'll likely be a bit stiffer and more prone to failure than a higher strand count. I don't usually work with wire less than 19 strands at the very least.

Maybe someone else has tried it and can comment.

May 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,019 of 10,535
Assuming it is actually what it says, that is dirt cheap per foot of OCC SPC. It's also a ton of wires so if it's bad you got almost 300ft of crap.

Only real concern based on the little info given is the 7 strands. It'll likely be a bit stiffer and more prone to failure than a higher strand count. I don't usually work with wire less than 19 strands at the very least.

Maybe someone else has tried it and can comment.

Do you know where I can get a good up occ silver plated copper or copper from 22 to 28 awg bulk wires?

May 29, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #2,022 of 10,535
Many people like DHC. You'll likely be happy with the purchase. He's even nice enough to pre-braid it for you if you ask nicely.

May 29, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #2,024 of 10,535
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=147

That's what I'm going to order for an iem cable.

That is expensive! Oh my.

I thought $1/feet at plussound was expensive, I guess not then.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back