DIY Cable Question
Dec 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
Having paid for custom cables before and not currently wanting to shell out that kind of money, I got to thinking about the cables and adapters I have on hand. I'll be needing a mini-rca digital coax cable. I was looking through my stock and found that I had a left-over cable from a DirecTV installation. I know coaxial digital connections should be 75ohm and this is where it gets good. The cable I have is as follows:
"DirecTV RG-6 75 OHM High Performance 3.0GHZ Digital Cable 18AWG 75C CATV/CL2 E232510 (UL) CM Perfect Vision 80SC"

Would it be so wrong to cut the ends off, attach the connectors I need and use it as a digital coaxial cable? I figured it would at least be better than a regular RCA cable that's meant for analog.

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 6
you can always try. at best your in there, at worst you get to learn something that you didn't know before! i know that the techs from dish/direct dont like to put any scratches on the middle copper wire.

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 6
Cool, I think I'll give this a go when I can find a spare mini plug
biggrin.gif
Anyone else want to weigh in on this subject?

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Spanky- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, I think I'll give this a go when I can find a spare mini plug
biggrin.gif
Anyone else want to weigh in on this subject?

I've made digital cables from leftover DISH network cables before. These satelite/cable guys actually use pretty good quality coax for their installation, which are fine for audio use.

Just a couple of days ago, I made another digital cable using a "top-secret" military coax
smily_headphones1.gif
One can always dress them up with fancy heatshrink and such..

img2900.jpg

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back