DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 9, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #7,456 of 16,309

Quote:
Thought some might want to know about the new Oyaide jacks, they now have a new version that will fit thick iPod/iPhone cases, just received a new batch yesterday so thought i would post pictures showing the difference.

looks like the Switchcraft, except for the first two, that extension to fit recesed plugs is useful, Ive had to bastardize a few ipod/zune cases because of pluigs with big barrels.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #7,457 of 16,309

Quote:
Hello guys, Anyone can direct me to some 3/16'' and 1/8'' soft multifilament in the states? I was about to get it from Hypex but 16$ order and 16$ shipping just doesnt seem right.

BTW I also ordered some of that fancy brown sleeve, following Br777 steps.

if my memory serves you also ordered the same silicone wire?

if so, let me potentially save you a headache... sleeving the silicone wire  - the best way i found to do this is to find a medium sized paper clip, straighten it, and solder the wire to the end of the paperclip. Then, make sure you sand the solder joint smooth so there are no sharp edges to catch on the sleeving.  Then of course you just feed the paperclip through the sleeving.. the key is to push the clip through a little bit at a time and then slowly and gently work the sleeving over the wire.. if you try to do it too fast the sleeve will stick to the silicone and grip down on it like a finger trap.  slow and steady wins the race on this one....

you may have a better way, but this is what i found to work well, after lots of trial and error.

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #7,458 of 16,309
the one from Matthew Ohrenberg? yes I did, I swear im not stalking you...

Thanks for the tip, I assume is gonna be hard but your tip will sure make things easier. did you tried some of this? 
talcoII_2.jpg

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #7,459 of 16,309

Quote:
the one from Matthew Ohrenberg? yes I did, I swear im not stalking you...

Thanks for the tip, I assume is gonna be hard but your tip will sure make things easier. did you tried some of this? 
talcoII_2.jpg

ha ha.. no, i get it.. it just a good combo.. i dont blame you :wink:   that's what threads like this are for.  I often wonder if other people think that about me when i reply to so many of their posts...

hmm.. no never woulda thought of that in a million years.  makes me wonder though b/c when i reterminated the LCD-2 stock cable, there was white powder coating the internal wire sleeves.  I didnt really give it much attention at the time but that could very well have been what it was.

sleeving the wire is actually really quick and easy once you get the hang of it, but it certainly took some trial and error getting to that point. 

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #7,462 of 16,309
i second cyberspyder. @jamesMcProgger, you must have got the wrong one then. I have bought and have been buying the soft nylon MF from furryletters for the past 2 years now. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #7,464 of 16,309
Parrots.. can you pst a link for the plugs? Im looking around and seeing $20-30AU as the cheapest?

Quote:
Thought some might want to know about the new Oyaide jacks, they now have a new version that will fit thick iPod/iPhone cases, just received a new batch yesterday so thought i would post pictures showing the difference.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #7,465 of 16,309

Quote:
i second cyberspyder. @jamesMcProgger, you must have got the wrong one then. I have bought and have been buying the soft nylon MF from furryletters for the past 2 years now. 

I think I found them, is it this and this, right? last time I bought some from there (4 different ones) I got this, which is OK but not so dosile.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #7,466 of 16,309

Quote:
I think I found them, is it this and this, right? last time I bought some from there (4 different ones) I got this, which is OK but not so dosile.

Yes, you want multifilament. The "hard" nylon is monofilament and is usually what people call "Techflex", even though that is a brand name and not a style of sheathing.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #7,467 of 16,309

Quote:
I installed the caps inside the 60gig ipod video.

I use a 47uf NX black gate:

it would fit with no problems.

Quote:
Cool, ive never seen the size of those before and thought maybe you put it in the Barrel of the Jack instead of the dock but thats a really good idea.
Couple you possibly PM me where i can get hold of a load of those caps if they are available to buy.
Thanks for the pics.

Edit, is the NX HiQ 47uf 6.3v Black gate  the right ones?

it fits inside the thick ipod (60-80gig) but not the 30 gig unless you change the back plate. i dont know if it's still available since i got this from my chinese friend that bought the caps sometime in 2005, I was lucky to have 2 pairs and currenlty installed on my ipod video and ipod photo 60gig color. this is by far the best caps i've tried  on my diy imod.

yup it's both NX BG 47uf (non polar) 6.3 volts caps.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #7,468 of 16,309

Quote:
Yes, you want multifilament. The "hard" nylon is monofilament and is usually what people call "Techflex", even though that is a brand name and not a style of sheathing.

Indeed.  In fact, even the multifilament that furryletters sells is Techflex brand.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #7,470 of 16,309
very cool, for a second I thought u actually spilt paint all over them... What will you be plugging the 4 pole jack into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back